Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

Beans

Re: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Looks like KSO is getting pushed
    I question the wisdom of trapping people in MicroSoft formats. Many people (especially home users) don't have to use these but KSO doesn't even support open formats, it just encourages the addiction and dependency to .docx and .xlsx and further entrenches them. Moreover, how do they guarantee this high level of compatibility in the future unless they use MS codes?

I converted a few old computers and never installed KSO, no one has ever complained about LO.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; April 16th, 2014 at 07:47 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

A friend of mine told me today, that he is very impressed by the newest version of Libre Office

Beans

I agree with you, and I like LibreOffice, but I think if Kingsoft helps to wean them off of MS even if with baby steps, let's do whatever it takes. Eventually they will get more comfortable and explore Linux alternative apps.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KBD47 View Post
    I agree with you, and I like LibreOffice, but I think if Kingsoft helps to wean them off of MS even if with baby steps, let's do whatever it takes. Eventually they will get more comfortable and explore Linux alternative apps.
    But it doesn't help to wean them off MS, actually exactly the opposite. KSO supports only MS formats and apparently does it uncannily well based on fans' testimonies(does it steal codes from MS, is it MS's partner/front? Nobody knows as it is closed. There are rumours and speculations on the Chinese blogs). There is no way and no incentive to switch to other formats with KSO.

Beans

Keep in mind many of these people, most of these people, already have a catalog of Doc files or Docx files, and the minute they see LO wants to save in odt they will be wary. And I continue to have issues in LO with docx and formatting issues. Kingsoft doesn't seem to have as many issues. If LO handled everything perfectly that would be great, in some cases it's still not there yet. Like I said, I'm a LO fan, but I'm not against making things as easy as possible for people to move from Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    I question the wisdom of trapping people in MicroSoft formats. Many people (especially home users) don't have to use these but KSO doesn't even support open formats, it just encourages the addiction and dependency to .docx and .xlsx and further entrenches them. Moreover, how do they guarantee this high level of compatibility in the future unless they use MS codes?
    This is the point people seem to be missing. There's really (IMO) no need for most of the formatting unique to proprietary software: 100%-compatibility with proprietary software is entrapment. People should understand that most of the formatting one yearns for is unnecessary (which is not bad per se) and also prevents communicating with people using other form factors which don't have the "muscle" to carry proprietary software.

To that extent, KSO and even LibreOffice are slowing down the acceptance of the pure open document format by trying to be compatible with whatever proprietary software makers dream of.
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans

I agree KSO should support odt format. I wish someone who had influence with them would push them to do so.
    Getting back on topic--I see the Lubuntu download page has the new 14.04 listed, but not active links yet. Should be ready soon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I agree KSO should support odt format. I wish someone who had influence with them would push them to do so.
    Getting back on topic--I see the Lubuntu download page has the new 14.04 listed, but not active links yet. Should be ready soon
    I downloaded both 32 and 64 bit Ubuntu yesterday.

Beans

Lubuntu 14.04 has a bug with the nm-applet not showing up.
    Xubuntu 14.04 was excellent for me, no problems installing it.
    Same for main Ubuntu 14.04, worked great, and it might just be me, but Ubuntu seems lighter and faster and running cooler on my netbook than before. I wonder if they are making it a bit lighter for the phone stuff?

Beans
    Hidden!

Lubuntu 14.04 has a bug with the nm-applet not showing up.
    Xubuntu 14.04 was excellent for me, no problems installing it.
    Same for main Ubuntu 14.04, worked great, and it might just be me, but Ubuntu seems lighter and faster and running cooler on my netbook than before. I wonder if they are making it a bit lighter for the phone stuff?
    Do you still have all those flavours installed? In that case it would be nice with some comparison of CPU and RAM usage, and maybe time from cold boot to a usable desktop. I'm really glad to read that standard Ubuntu is getting lighter

Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast