Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

Beans

Re: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

My Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Desktop for Dell PC's with dual core CPU's or better and at least 2GB RAM

Dash to Dock Extension installed as well as Cairo-Dock. And I always install KingSoft Office for its ability to render MS Office documents
    Last edited by SurfaceUnits; February 23rd, 2014 at 10:49 PM.
    My Grandfather said that most people who lack a sense of humour don't lack humour, they lack sense.

Beans

@kansasnoob, @sudodus: thanks for having subscribed my (first) thread in Ubuntu Forums!

@Elfy: my phrase about targeting XP-running machines was above all an hope! I think that a lot of people actually use one or even more computers that runs XP (among desktops, laptops etc.). All those computers where will they go? I've thought it could be an occasion for Xubuntu but I'm quite new to this interesting world and I still cannot understand all the differences between the different distros.
    Last edited by stilnovo1; February 23rd, 2014 at 11:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I agree with you stilnovo1,

But I think that Xubuntu already works well on XP era machines in terms of performance. It's as much responsive as Windows XP if not more and use less RAM and CPU. I mean it seems that a lot of people are running 13.10 on computers with 1GB RAM or less without any problem. My hope is that Xubuntu 14.04 will give around the same performance as 13.10 on these machines, so that users will be able to sit on this LTS for at least 5 years if need be.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by stilnovo1 View Post
    Anyway, I'd like to participate to something like a page for real absolute beginners: I've seen for example on my parents that want to learn to use a pc (digital divide due to the age), that it's easier for them to learn with Lubuntu (13.10) than with Win 7.
    I think that this Community should create a website or a project where to spread the 'LABC' (LinuxABC): I remember at the beginning that I wasn't able to understand what a repository was for example. Also looking for a program doing simple things like to erase the cache has not been so simple: the first time I've put a search more or less like "CCleaner for Linux"!!
    Finally, we can say that you/we should create a more popular culture about this arguments.
    Unluckily, for the moment I don't feel myself so ready for more skilled arguments... if there were simpler things...
    Hi there,

I'm not just the founder of StartUbuntu but also the founder of this project which is exactly what you're talking about. I thought to merge the two projects but then, I gave it another thought. StartUbuntu is growing faster and faster than IamNewToLinux and one day, StartUbuntu will go to Phase 6 and be StartLinux so I don't think it is good idea to merge these two projects but rather keep them to work side by side

If you're interested, contact me directly and let's keep this thread for 'StartUbuntu' Project only, shall we?

IMHO, there is no need to create new projects but rather use existing ones. Let's join forces, not spread the efforts across so many projects and directions. This will leave us weak, not strong. This is what I learned the hard way with 3 years being super active for many Ubuntu Communities.

It doesn't matter whether you are an expert or not, in fact, you might be the best candidate to help. Those who have spent some years with Linux, most of them find hard time to communicate with newcomers to Linux. Sometimes, I feel that myself. That is why I always seek to deal with newcomers and convert people to Linux in real life as I showed here on this thread.

StartUbuntu has a noble cause
    Saving time, money and trouble for Windows XP Users and that is just the beginning.

Once we are done from Windows XP, we will start targeting other versions
    And, once we grow even bigger, it will be time for Phase 6 and StartUbuntu will be StartLinux. However, this will never happen 'unless' other communities join. Someone the other day asked why Linux Mint isn't included for example? well, when it is the right time to go to phase 6 AND other communities are interested, why not?

As for now, StartUbuntu will use the main flavours only: Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu and Ubuntu GNOME.
    As I explained earlier, other flavours such as Ubuntu Studio has special uses and after all, it runes XFCE

Hope this help

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SurfaceUnits View Post
    An inexpensive GeForce 8400 GS PCI video card, nVidia driver, and nomodeset in grub and everything is spiffalicious
    My Grandfather said that most people who lack a sense of humour don't lack humour, they lack sense.

Beans

Windows XP will not get support anymore, so indeed, Linux could be a good alternative to make these old PC still working safe online! But the question is: which one with which support?

People still having XP enjoyed over 10 years of support from Microsoft, and out of the scope of the 6 months Linux release cycle: they will probably be more interessted by the LTS versions!

Windows XP came out in 2001 and became very popular the SP1 out in 2002. It was the time of desktop computers based on Athlon XP and Pentium 4 by 2 Ghz, with 256 MB of RAM or more. It was the time of the AGP graphic cards, before the PCI Express came out. In 2002, the main stream user had middle range graphic cards like Geforce4 ti4200 or even the MX range, or the Ati 9200 and co.

LXDE is the one of the lightest desktop environment and these PC could quite easily run a current Lubuntu distribution. These PC still work fine for family office and internet work. The Windows XP environment get too much slow down with an antivirus software, so Linux without will be much faster. The only part where they are out of the game are online video, since FlashPlayer is so hungry and makes the video so slow!

We come to the main issue under Linux: the VGA DRIVER!
    The open source drivers are to buggy to be used in a daily basis. I've tried Lubuntu 13.x with a Geforce2 MX and the "nouveau" driver, and the icon are not even shown on the destkop!

Nvidia and Ati ended the support of their 10+ years old cards. Their proprietary drivers -I think here especially on the nvidia-96x serie- only run up to X.org 1.12.

So unfortunately, current/upcoming 2014 LTS distributions does NOT offer any alternative to Windows XP for these early XP PC!

If we stick with the proprietary driver, we have to go back to the distribution with X.org <= 1.12.
    And if we think long term support, I see the following possibilities:

- Current Debian stable 7.x with X.org 1.12. Stable are out ~ every 2 years, with 1 year support after the new one. 7.x came out in mid 2013, so this will offer support to mid 2016.
    - Ubuntu 12.04 LTS is based on X.org 1.11. Support until 04.2017. Unfortunately, the lighter derivate Xubuntu LTS has only 3 years support so until 04.2015, and even lighter Lubuntu was NOT a LTS.
    - Mint 13 LTS based on the above offer also support until 04.2017, but seems that LXDE is not proposed anymore. A pitty since Mint seens to already integrate the proprietary VGA drivers!

I really wish the Lubuntu 14.04 LTS would be based on Xorg 1.12 like Debian 7.x

So middle term solution: "old" Linux from 2012
    Long term solution: fix the open source drivers???
    Last edited by eric152; February 26th, 2014 at 12:08 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

The linux drivers for graphics are certainly creating problems for many old computers and their owners. Fortunately many graphics cards are still supported, at least if we step forward in time of manufacture from 2001 to around 2004. XP was delivered with computers during several years (overlapping Vista and later on delivered with netbooks).

See the first and the few last posts of this link for tips about Ubuntu based linux versions, flavours and respins: Old hardware brought back to life

Beans

thanks, it describes more distribution, and the LXLE should be the best choice for a computer from 2002-2004.
    It fits the "10 years support": for a 2002-2004 computer, take a 2012 LTS. For a 2004+ computer, wait for the 2014 LTS?

Beans

Patrick d'Emmabuntüs has announced the release of the latest update to Emmabuntüs, a Xubuntu-based distribution made specifically for refurbished computers destined for humanitarian organisations: "The Emmabuntüs team is pleased to announce the 6th maintenance release of Emmabuntüs 2 1.07 based on Xubuntu 12.04.4. This distribution was designed to make the refurbishing of computers given to humanitarian organizations, especially Emmaüs communities (where the name comes from), and to promote the discovery of Linux by beginners, but also to extend the lifespan of the equipment and to reduce over consumption and over waste in electronics.

http://distrowatch.com/8315

Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast