Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

Beans

Re: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

I think some people will not accept what to them is a theoretical danger, plus they think Microsoft just wants to sell them a new OS. I think the approach should be a positive one. Ask them why they want to run an outdated OS when they can use a faster, lighter, much better looking Linux system that is safe and secure and takes little effort to install

Beans

My brother is one of those people who will stick to xp regardless. He has a brand new, super powerful desktop running XP(yeah one of the few people I know who still own desktops) He makes the machine look like some relic from the 1980's. He has a huge collection of 1980's music in his music folder which I have a hard time even recalling the name of some of these people. All his software is outdated and some has been dead even before there was ubuntu. He is one of those "I hate change" people. He sounds and behaves a lot older than he actually is (keeping saying he is too old to learn new things, the guy is only 40!). He says he cannot switch to other os or upgrade Windows because no modern OS would run his software collection. But he was sufficiently impressed when I showed him a Ubuntu installation in an external drive which he could boot off his machine.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; February 21st, 2014 at 03:31 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    it may give the inaccurate impression that Linux is a 2nd tier OS good only for very old hardware.Maybe you can add a statement "Ubuntu will be great too if you hate Windows 8!" Indeed if I have a very old XP machine my choice wouldn't be Ubuntu, something like debian with a light desktop (LXDE or xfce) would make more sense
    Until steam machines launch, our only option is to install Linux on older machines.
    if you don't agree, give me one International brand that sells mid to high range graphics/gaming computer.

When steam OS launches, Brand names like Acer, Asus, Lenovo, etc. will start shipping Linux(including Steam OS) computers worldwide to compete with steam machines. Currently, these companies don't see high end Linux frontier as a feasible market.

Most people require a "need" to change their lifestyle, including their computing habits. The path Microsoft is taking with Windows 8 is "need" enough to change from Windows XP to Linux for most XP users.
    Others have a specific "need", like they may have bought software worth thousands of dollars, which is compatible with XP only, and requires a similar amount to get a version compatible with the latest OS. For simplified example, think Macromedia Flash vs. Adobe Flash CS6

@ amjjawad,
    Why dosen't your project include Linux Mint & Zorin OS ?
    Last edited by neel3; February 21st, 2014 at 07:37 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by neel3 View Post
    Until steam machines launch, our only option is to install Linux on older machines.
    if you don't agree, give me one International brand that sells mid to high range graphics/gaming computer.
    Actually most computer users don't play games. Gamers are a small but vocal minority of computer users. On the other hand most laptops from the last 3 years would come with at least 4 G of ram and it can run full blown Ubuntu with all the eye candies without problem and much faster than Windows, let alone lubuntu.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; February 21st, 2014 at 07:53 PM.

Beans

Actually most computer users don't play games. Gamers are a small but vocal minority of computer users. On the other hand most laptops from the last 3 years would come with at least 4 G of ram and it can run full blown Ubuntu with all the eye candies without problem, let alone lubuntu.
    +1!

Especially true of XP users!

True gamers stay updated constantly, I know because I buy a lot of their recycled hardware

Beans

Actually most computer users don't play games. Gamers are a small but vocal minority of computer users. On the other hand most laptops from the last 3 years would come with at least 4 G of ram and it can run full blown Ubuntu with all the eye candies without problem and much faster than Windows, let alone lubuntu.
    I said graphics first, gaming second.
    Graphics for Linux = GIMP, Inkscape, Synfig Studio, Audacity, Blender, FreeCAD, etc.

Desktop high range Specs in 2005 : 8 GB DDR2, 1 GB GDDR3
    Desktop high range Specs in 2015 : 64 GB DDR4, 5GB GDDR6

9 year old specs still looks prety good; the 4 GB RAM you are talking about is from pre-XP era, when graphics cards were still in their infancy.
    Last edited by neel3; February 21st, 2014 at 09:47 PM.

Beans

I said graphics first, gaming second.
    Graphics for Linux = GIMP, Inkscape, Synfig Studio, Audacity, Blender, FreeCAD, etc.

Desktop high range Specs in 2005 : 8 GB DDR2, 1 GB GDDR3
    Desktop high range Specs in 2015 : 64 GB DDR4, 5GB GDDR6

9 year old specs still looks prety good; the 4 GB RAM you are talking about is from pre-XP era, when graphics cards were still in their infancy.
    Actually graphic tends to work better with newer machines because of better drivers (except the most bleeding edge releases) Nvidia's Linux support is on par with Windows'--unless you get optimus but I heard bumblebee actually is working very well. Intel drivers are also better for new hd graphic than old cards. AMD doesn't even release drivers for old cards. In general the graphic card manufacturers for obvious reason don't care for old hardware and many old cards can't even work with the latest FOSS drivers (incompatible kernel etc)

Other than gamers no one really complains about Linux's graphic (on recent enough hardware). There are of course issues here and there especially with AMD apparently, but the loudest complaint always come from gamers. I doubt that you need ultra high fps to work with gimp, inkscape, blender etc. Gamers tend to be people with too much time, too much money to burn and no social life They are a tiny but obnoxiously nitpicking minority whose obsessions usually have little to with most users'.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; February 21st, 2014 at 11:02 PM.

Beans

Yes, AMD is going the way of walled garden, especially with it's Mantle technology.
    nVidia has been more open since nVidia saw marketing opportunities, first in Android, then in Steam Machines.
    Other than gamers no one really complains about Linux's graphic (on recent enough hardware). I doubt that you need ultra high fps to work with gimp, inkscape, blender etc. Gamers tend to be people with too much time, too much money to burn and no social life They are a tiny but obnoxiously nitpicking minority whose obsessions usually have little to with most users'.
    FPS is a gaming term, not a requirement for Graphics applications. Rendering needs graphics power, & larger projects need more memory.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi and thanks for posting

When steam OS launches, Brand names like Acer, Asus, Lenovo, etc. will start shipping Linux(including Steam OS) computers worldwide to compete with steam machines. Currently, these companies don't see high end Linux frontier as a feasible market.

Most people require a "need" to change their lifestyle, including their computing habits. The path Microsoft is taking with Windows 8 is "need" enough to change from Windows XP to Linux for most XP users.
    Others have a specific "need", like they may have bought software worth thousands of dollars, which is compatible with XP only, and requires a similar amount to get a version compatible with the latest OS. For simplified example, think Macromedia Flash vs. Adobe Flash CS6
    Have you watched this before?
    The father of Linux is explaining why Linux didn't take over the desktop machines yet

@ amjjawad,
    Why dosen't your project include Linux Mint & Zorin OS ?
    Simply, because we're not at Phase 6 yet

As long as it is StartUbuntu, I can't include any other system except Ubuntu and all its official variants.

Above all, it is VERY bad idea to provide lots of options to newcomers. This is a very confusing and we have discussed that over and over again on many mailing lists and teams and communities and here on the Ubuntu Forums as well that one of the worst nightmares for newcomers to Linux coming from Windows is: there are SO MANY options they may be offered, and not to mention, the very worst advice in the history of humanity when you ask a super newcomer to visit DistroWatch.com he/she will right away go back to Windows and never come back again.

The idea is NOT just spread the word of Linux/FOSS but rather think HOWTO do that
    We must follow the right approach.

There are categories of users that StartUbuntu project should NOT bother nor waste time with. Those "I hate to change, I am in love with XP" who will never ever change no matter what you show them, etc etc is a category that I advice to not waste any efforts as a community. However, if someone has a brother, a friend, etc .. he/she can try with them as an individual. As a community, our efforts should be focused on specific categories and I have explained that on this thread over and over again

Everything should be here:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StartUbuntu

If you couldn't find what you're looking for, please let us know

Also, the reason why Xubuntu Flyer has only two options was indeed the very same reason why it is a super bad idea to give a newcomer more than 2 options.

Option 1: If your machine can handle Ubuntu AND you like Unity = Use Ubuntu
    Option 2: If your machine can't handle Ubuntu AND/OR you don't like Unity = Use Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Ubuntu GNOME and/or Kubuntu

As for
    Ubuntu Stuido
    Edubuntu
    and the rest

I consider these options as somehow special case. For example, if someone doesn't need any education packages installed by default, there is no reason to use Edubutnu

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by amjjawad; February 22nd, 2014 at 07:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

@sudodus: since I'm new to this forum, may I ask to you a suggestion on where (category) to start my new threat regarding that "pleasable" Amilo L7320? The problem, as you know is about the difficulty of installation.

By the way, today I have just done another installation on a friend of mine's laptop. With this pc, from when I've approached the Linux' world (last september), I've "converted" a total of 10 computers, all of them were running XP. 7 of them now have Lubuntu 13.10, 2 Xubuntu 12.04, 1 Kubuntu 12.04.

Well, I'm not a veteran, but I can say that no one of those installations has been easy: I've learnt a lot of things and for this I'm quite happy, but I think that a person that is not stubborn like me maybe would prefer an easier way to install. To be better precise: the installation would be easy, but it always happens something that makes hard to do a fast thing: an unsupported graphic card, a processor with a Celeron M inside (for example!!) etc. that complicate very much.

I'm talking about hardware that actually is running XP, so I think that it should be very well supported without to oblige a normal user to become an expert of HWE stack, for example.

Once people have a problemless working machine today, for sure the same people will buy in the future a new Ubuntu-powered computer.

So, I think that from one side developers should be more (Pangoline) precise on the analisys about the drivers and the procedures for the machines that are actually running XP, specially the developers that take care about Lubuntu and Xubuntu: simple and clear procedures on how to convert an XP machine to one of that two 'flavours', maybe the most suitables for those computers. Now many things are clear to me, but believe to me that I've discovered only in recent times this beautiful world: it's not simple for a normal user to convert its machine from XP to another OS. The steps to do this must be simples and clears.

I think that it could be very useful to do a page for newbies where to teach in very simple words, with some images and with a basic glossary, the basic concepts as 'repository', superuser, why you have to mount a partition before to look at in etc.
    Very simple things for all of you, but quite hard at the beginning. Once you have known them, they won't frighten you anymore! Yes, there are many books, tutorials etc but why don't make things easier?
    Another useful thing could be to find one/two slogans, in order to excite people curiosity. For sure, in these critical economical times nobody wants to throw away your own computer!
    I've seen that once installed, in less than a month a person can use L/Xubuntu with succes and satisfaction.
    Am I wrong?

Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast