Page 15 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

Beans

Re: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

You are looking at US$50 for the cheapest modern PCI video card. That being a GeForce GT 610 512MB 64-bit DDR3 PCI and it needs a 300Watt PS
    Last edited by SurfaceUnits; January 31st, 2014 at 08:38 AM.
    My Grandfather said that most people who lack a sense of humour don't lack humour, they lack sense.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

** Updates **

Hi,

Just to keep you posted:

1- http://amjjawad.blogspot.com/2014/01...onvert-my.html

So far, 8 machines in January and there are a lot of others people who are very interested. I found out that advertising with text is not working as I want to. So, I did something different. After each time I convert a machine, I take a picture, upload it to the facebook group where +5000 residence are there, and that is all what it takes for others to feel jealous or curious and would like to convert their machines to Linux.

Other people from other areas are approaching me too. I am so much ready to convert the whole city then the whole country. It just takes some time

2- StartUbuntu Project needs more contributors

3- StartUbuntu Project needs Social Media Moderators

4- Flyer Idea

5- Sticker Idea

You can always stay up-to-date with StartUbuntu news by joining the mailing list:
    https://launchpad.net/~startubuntu

Thank you!

P.S.
    What about your record?
    How many machines have you converted in real life???

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: ** Updates **

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    So far, 8 machines in January and there are a lot of others people who are very interested. I found out that advertising with text is not working as I want to. So, I did something different. After each time I convert a machine, I take a picture, upload it to the facebook group where +5000 residence are there, and that is all what it takes for others to feel jealous or curious and would like to convert their machines to Linux.

Other people from other areas are approaching me too. I am so much ready to convert the whole city then the whole country. It just takes some time
    Great idea, and great inspiration

I convert a few, but not as many as you in real life. I hope, though, that my software contributions will help people via the internet ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: ** Updates **

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Great idea, and great inspiration

I convert a few, but not as many as you in real life. I hope, though, that my software contributions will help people via the internet ...
    Thank you, my good friend

This is truly a very unique experience. I didn't imagine I could learn a lot from it. I am leaning a lot of new things and everyday, I meet new people from different countries and this is just great. I am also leaning more about marketing/advertising techniques. When one approach doesn't work well, I try to find another one. So far, my new approach is triple better than the old one. In one day, 3 machines have been converted. Final record for January 2014 is 9 installations and 8.5 machines (one is dual-booting).

I have a feeling that in February, I might do 20 installations but that will require more efforts and less time for Ubuntu GNOME, ToriOS and other stuff so I must take it easy and have some sort of balance.

Note: Until now, I am doing the installations myself. I am doing everything from A-Z and the user is doing nothing but using the machine. Yes, it is hard time and extra efforts but every beginning is hard. The system is new. Linux is like Greek here. People are so far away from searching for different system. They are super busy, that is why I sometimes go myself to their places to take their machines.

It is not just a computer project. I find this project is much more and far beyond just a computer thing.

I feel so tired. Once I finish machine number 25, I will log off and recharge for tomorrow's new round

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Good news

It makes me feel really good whenever I read such news.

I'm very confident that it is a matter of time. Everyday, my feelings became strong and stronger. The golden ear of Microsoft will come to an end. Just like the company they bought (Nokia). No matter what they will do, Epic will fail, sooner or later. It is about time when the world starts to realize that Linux is NOT just free and save money, it is open the mind and do much more

Beans
    Hidden!

Good news
    It is about time when the world starts to realize that Linux is NOT just free and save money, it is open the mind and do much more
    The article was not about Linux; however, it was about open formats.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; February 1st, 2014 at 11:04 PM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Amazing and great news

Thanks to Pierre for following up off-list and getting us the files we
    needed. Thanks also to Robert Streeter who offered up some help!

Pasi Lallinaho and I spent the past day passing drafts back and forth
    and now have a Xubuntu alternate version of the flyer all ready and
    uploaded to spreadubuntu.org

A4 size: http://spreadubuntu.org/en/material/...buntu-flyer-a4

US Letter size:
    http://spreadubuntu.org/en/material/...lyer-us-letter
    The above was an email form Lyz (Xubuntu Marketing Team Leader and one of Ubuntu Council Members). Special thanks to Xubuntu Team for spreading the word.

All the other communities need to participate as well. I sent an email to Ubuntu GNOME (my team) and hope the Artwork Team will do something like that. I also sent to Lubuntu Team and I hope Rafael has enough time to help as well

Edit:
    I added that to my website:
    http://amjjawad.net/startubuntu-xubuntu-flyer/

P.S.
    I know my website looks so bad but I have no time to work on it.
    Last edited by amjjawad; February 4th, 2014 at 11:58 AM. Reason: adding a link

Beans

i need a little more convincing, my intrigue has increased by 2/7ths.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Two more things:

1- Xubuntu Flyer that I shared on Facebook, Twitter and Google+ was translated quickly to two languages a side from English:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StartUbuntu/...mmunity_Flyers

2- I have reached to new milestone - 30 Linux Installations on 30 machines, all by myself:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StartUbuntu/...ertCompetition

Near Future Plan:
    1- Get other communities (official variants of Ubuntu) to do flyers as well

2- I must make new record and reach to 40 and hopefully 50 converted machine for Feb 2014

Thank you!

Beans

Two more things:

1- Xubuntu Flyer that I shared on Facebook, Twitter and Google+ was translated quickly to two languages a side from English:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StartUbuntu/...mmunity_Flyers

2- I have reached to new milestone - 30 Linux Installations on 30 machines, all by myself:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StartUbuntu/...ertCompetition

Near Future Plan:
    1- Get other communities (official variants of Ubuntu) to do flyers as well

2- I must make new record and reach to 40 and hopefully 50 converted machine for Feb 2014

Thank you!
    I'm currently at 53 - but I started in 2008 with some old Win 98 and Win ME boxes

Many hardware upgrades involved but I've loved the journey.

Page 15 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast