Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

Beans

Re: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

I suspect there are die hard XP fans who just wouldn't switch or update and they don't care if MS stops supporting it. Just look at some people on this forum ( almost Feb 2014) with questions about Ubuntu 10.04, 9.04 and even Hardy (I don't even know which number it was). Some people just don't like change.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KBD47 View Post
    I love lubuntu but have concerns about its shorter support cycle, so been more interested in lxle lately. Also like Linux Lite,
    lubuntu shares almost all of Ubuntu's repositories except for a few things. I think if you have lubuntu 12.04 and add this ppa it would become a LTS https://launchpad.net/~lxle/+archive/updates
    Out of the box I find lubuntu a lot cleaner. Lxle comes with too many junks IMO and have too many ppas enabled. I have no problem with ppas, I use quite a few but I add them myself. I think it is problematic to install a lot of ppas without the user's knowledge because conflicts may arise later and the user wouldn't know what happened. Just my two cents.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; January 29th, 2014 at 11:43 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    I think if you have lubuntu 12.04 and add this ppa it would be the same as lxle in terms of support.https://launchpad.net/~lxle/+archive/updates
    Out of the box I find lubuntu a lot cleaner. Lxle comes with too many junks IMO and have too many ppas enabled. I have no problem with ppas, I use quite a few but I add them myself. I think it is problematic to install a lot of ppas without the user's knowledge because conflicts may arise later and the users wouldn't know what happened. Just my two cents.
    Interesting post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Code:
    lubuntu shares almost all of Ubuntu's repositories except for a few things. I think if you have lubuntu 12.04 and add this ppa it would become a LTS https://launchpad.net/~lxle/+archive/updates
    Out of the box I find lubuntu a lot cleaner. Lxle comes with too many junks IMO and have too many ppas enabled. I have no problem with ppas, I use quite a few but I add them myself. I think it is problematic to install a lot of ppas without the user's knowledge because conflicts may arise later and the user wouldn't know what happened. Just my two cents.
    Please, could someone add more information about it?. I find it very interesting since I have an old pentium III laptop with lubuntu 12.04 installed, I have tried lubuntu 12.10 installation and it doesn't work in such an old dinosaur.

If installing the forementioned ppa changes my unsupported now lubuntu 12.04 in a LTS till 2017 I will do.

Thanks

Beans

I think you can compare the sources.list of lxle and lubuntu 12.04 and check what provides the long term support. I am not sure but I think the lxle ppa is the only important difference.

Beans

Thanks monkeybrain.
    I'm running lxle right now on a netbook and love it. Only downside is DVD size iso, some old computers only have cd drive, and lubuntu is cd size, as is xubuntu and Linux lite.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

I love lubuntu but have concerns about its shorter support cycle, so been more interested in lxle lately. Also like Linux Lite, Mint Xfce 13, and Xubuntu 12.04. Will be interested in the new LTS Buntus this Spring, but wondering if they will leave the old XP machines even further behind regarding software support? I welcome any thoughts on that and regarding if it affects amjjawad's excellent efforts. In other words--will it be a good idea to point XP user to the newer LTS that's coming up, or older, but still supported LTS? Thanks.
    Hi,

Because the EOL of Microsoft Windows XP is going to be on 8th or April, 2014 and that is before releasing the final version of 14.04 according to the release schedule, we have no choice but to go for 13.10 and/or 12.04 LTS (Xubuntu and other alternatives with LTS release - except Lubuntu of course).

If you take a look at my list, you will see that I am using: Ubuntu GNOME 13.10, Xubuntu 12.04.3 LTS and Lubuntu 13.10

The theory of Windows XP Users have 'old machines' is not really true when it comes to reality, it is just a theory, not a reality.
    Prove that? If you insist, you can take a look at the list here. Forget the list. Let me tell you this. I have seen with my very eyes many machines which are strong enough to run any version of Windows rather than XP but the user was using nothing but Windows XP.

What does it mean?
    It means, Windows XP is installed on wide range of Hardware. From old machines (which only Lubuntu and maybe Xubuntu are the only valid options from Ubuntu Family) to powerful machines enough to run Windows 7 (which means Ubuntu GNOME, Ubuntu and Kubuntu can work nicely) and maybe even Windows 8.

Yes, the logic says: Windows XP? = High chance of having 'Old' machine.

Reality? Windows XP = installed on wide range of hardware (256MB RAM - 4GB RAM and above).

This is what I have seen by my very eyes with so many machines of my project to convert the neighbourhood to Linux.

As I mentioned before, I keep a list of the names + contacts of the people who have 13.10 installed. Once 14.04 is released, I will inform them and ask them to upgrade. By that time, all of them will be familiar with Linux already
    I have started this late in October 2013 till date. NO serious issue as of this very moment. Very and I mean very simple questions that requires me sending a reply on a facebook message, end of story

This tells me that Linux is much more easier than what we all thought. I must say, I am surprised. It is either I underestimated the users OR Linux is really really easy. I didn't imagine that until I read/hear the feedback from my neighbours who are 5-10mins walking on feet away from where I'm sitting right now writing this.

LTS vs NON-LTS?
    We should 'not' worry about that. I have no idea we are wasting our time to discuss that
    Really, nowadays, even the Alpha1 of any Ubuntu Development Release is Rock Solid.

Don't worry though, I am not going to install a beta version for anyone

Beans

Hi Amjjawad! Recently I was given a ten year old XP machine retired from service in an Insurance Office. I bumped up the ram to 1500 mb, and the old Athalon XP 2800 2.08 ghz cpu works fine, but the video card was the crappy Geforce4 mx440. The last time that card was supported in Ubuntu well was 10.04. Maybe my case is unique, maybe everyone else will be retiring much younger machines, but I suspect come springtime there will be many old machines retired when all the warnings reach a fever pitch about support from MS ending for XP. My concern is that the newer kernels and releases that leave old drivers behind may be problematic for some. There is 3 years left of support on certain LTS releases that may work better for people with really old machines, at least that is what I'm thinking, I may be wrong

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi Amjjawad! Recently I was given a ten year old XP machine retired from service in an Insurance Office. I bumped up the ram to 1500 mb, and the old Athalon XP 2800 2.08 ghz cpu works fine, but the video card was the crappy Geforce4 mx440. The last time that card was supported in Ubuntu well was 10.04. Maybe my case is unique, maybe everyone else will be retiring much younger machines, but I suspect come springtime there will be many old machines retired when all the warnings reach a fever pitch about support from MS ending for XP. My concern is that the newer kernels and releases that leave old drivers behind may be problematic for some. There is 3 years left of support on certain LTS releases that may work better for people with really old machines, at least that is what I'm thinking, I may be wrong
    +1

I think you are right. Ubuntu 12.04 LTS based flavours, re-spins and distros are a good choice for many (but not all) ten year old computers. But sometimes we must also look outside the Ubuntu based systems. Knoppix is often good at co-ooperating with old hardware. Various Puppy linux versions or Tiny Core are also good alternatives. We must realize that there is a limit when the computer is not really useful for web browsing, but it can still be a good experience to learn linux with it. See also this link Old hardware brought back to life

Beans

Thanks Sudodus! Frequently I will go to Debian Stable when all else fails, or when I need a very lightweight OS. Of course the Ubuntu spins are more convenient.

Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast