Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Re: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

IS .. is NOT

It is NOT that black and white When installing on older machines my first choice is Xubuntu. My rule of thumb is dual core and a gig of ram for Xubuntu, can be done with less, but this is my choice. Single core and less than a gig of ram = Lubuntu.

My machines are all dual core or dual processors, oldest machine being a 2005. All run Ubuntu (Gnome) and does not fit your 'is, is not' equation.

And ..

To buggy .. less buggy

There are thousands of happy Lu and X users out there or they would of never made the cut. So I would say that is personal opinion, not fact.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    There are thousands of happy Lu and X users out there or they would of never made the cut. So I would say that is personal opinion, not fact.
    Granted, your milegage may vary, as they say. But what happened on my machine is not a matter of mere opinion, but fact. I didn't make that up for goodnessakes, Abiword really did crash several times, videos really failed to play, and the printer really did fail. That's not "my opinion," it's my experience.

But my computer is a 12-year-old Dell with a Celeron 2.5 GHz processor and a paltry little 512 MB of RAM. One that should have run Lubuntu effortlessly. Lubu was plenty fast (I mean reeeeally fast, wonderful speed and responsiveness!), it just wouldn't do what I needed it to. Xubuntu 12.04 runs kinda okay on it, but I'll be researching ways to make Xubu leaner and meaner without sacrificing it's wonderful functionality.

I expect that pretty soon Xubuntu will outrun my hardware and I'll revisit Lubuntu before I run off to try Puppy or something, lol. I think LXDE has a bright future going into Qt instead of GTK, and I suspect that some of my own Lubuntu issues were caused by conflicts between some apps that were made to run on GTK2 and others that run on GTK3. Things should settle down soon and I'm looking forward to playing with Lubuntu some more. Very fast, very simple, very nice looking. I even wrote a nice "review" of Lubuntu here.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by robin7
    Abiword really did crash several times, videos really failed to play, and the printer really did fail. That's not "my opinion," it's my experience.
    For me the File Managers (Thunar, PCManFM ...) are deal breakers.
    I just distro-hopped to OpenSuse KDE, it seemed rock solid. I really like Dolphin but unfortunately the Codecs is deal breaker.
    Still hang on to Mint Maya Mate...sigh, and Precise Puppy for lightweight hardwares.

Beans

HP FreeLnx to Ubuntu Project

Customization of the Cairo-Dock with launchers and apps
    HP Logo for Activities

I have two customers scheduled for upgrades plus one new computer - will be using 13.10 Gnome 3.8.4
    Last edited by SurfaceUnits; January 23rd, 2014 at 08:14 AM.
    My Grandfather said that most people who lack a sense of humour don't lack humour, they lack sense.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by robin7 View Post
    ... "review" of Lubuntu here.
    Do you find shortened urls more informative? Why did you use one? Just curious.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Do you find shortened urls more informative? Why did you use one? Just curious.
    Not really... When I write a post to my wordpress blog I get an e-mail with that shortened link to the post. I just copied-and-pasted it from the e-mail. No special reason to use a shortened url, it's just the one Wordpress sent me.

Beans

Not really... When I write a post to my wordpress blog I get an e-mail with that shortened link to the post. I just copied-and-pasted it from the e-mail. No special reason to use a shortened url, it's just the one Wordpress sent me.
    Thanks for explaining

The reason I asked is because I seem to remember this forum having a policy about preferring full urls for transparency. Maybe I'm mixing up things in my mind

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by SurfaceUnits View Post
    HP FreeLnx to Ubuntu Project

Customization of the Cairo-Dock with launchers and apps
    HP Logo for Activities

I have two customers scheduled for upgrades plus one new computer - will be using 13.10 Gnome 3.8.4

is it allowed to use HP logo like that?
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

While Xubuntu is NOT "aimed at users of older hardware" anymore, a lot of folks with older computers are about to join our ranks in search of a "traditional desktop" that will run on their modest machines.
    +1. Xubuntu is the flavour I've been promoting.
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    is it allowed to use HP logo like that?
    only if HP created it, which they did. You apparently don't know about HP's linux distro.
    My Grandfather said that most people who lack a sense of humour don't lack humour, they lack sense.

Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast