Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for members of a game changing Linux distro

Beans

Looking for members of a game changing Linux distro

What is Venux?

Venux is the name given to a new Ubuntu based Linux distribution. I aim to convert Windows users who don't fully understand that there definitely can be a free, easy to use alternative to their current limited system. One of the best things about Linux distributions is that you can configure every little aspect of them so that they can run how you want them to.

What are our core values?

First: to spread the word of open-source further than its current reach. I love open-source software because it gives you more control, and allows programs to greatly exceed the initial design. By allowing other to make changes and redistribute your software, there is the potential for it to become truly amazing, whereas with proprietary software, that possibility is limited to its initial developers, and what they, themselves, can do.

Second: Computing doesn't need to be difficult. An operating system should look and feel amazing right out of the box. It should give you the most amazing software and experience, without you having to configure one thing. We are pre-configuring a lot of software to make an amazing computing experience. We're finding some of the best media software, document editing, image editing, you name it. And Wine and Playonlinux are configured right from the get-go.

Third: Offer users a familiar layout. Now this part was a little difficult because a lot of past Linux users like gnome2, yet a lot of people who may make the switch from Windows might not feel comfortable using that layout. Because of this, I felt it would be difficult to build one single OS and expect that to work. So, Venux OS is being built on the MATE desktop environment, while another version will be released using Cinnamon (modified, to make them even more comfortable). The Cinnamon version is called Venux Starter Edition: "So easy my grandma can use it!", and internally referred to as Windex (Cleaning up windows).

What do we need?

We need people who are just as passionate as us about this. People who want to make a difference and bring Linux to a whole new audience. I am a web developer (check out my unfinished portfolio site at http://nickgermaine.ca) and also write in PHP/MySQL and along this journey I have been learning Python/GTK so that I can write certain things to include. I am by no means a python programmer, but it is not the most difficult thing I have ever done. I'm looking for people of all sorts who'd like to be a member of what very well can be a game changer in computing.

You can come interact with us on the facebook page I've just created not too long ago: http://facebook.com/venuxos and if you'd like to help out, just let me know.

Beans

Re: Looking for members of a game changing Linux distro

A couple comments/questions.

1) You are building an Ubuntu-based distribution, one version with the MATE desktop and another with the Cinnamon desktop. Why would I use your distro instead of Linux Mint, then? Furthermore, why did you decide to put together a whole new distro instead of just trying to get on board with another one with similar goals?
    2) You will probably need to rethink that logo. It's a pretty blatant ripoff of the Ubuntu logo.

Beans

Well, I'm building off of ubuntu, because it's already amazing, to be honest. The difference I'm trying to make between us and Linux Mint is what is included in a default installation. Aside from that, trying to allow Windows users a healthy alternative, while giving them a familiar environment. I shall rethink the logo, as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You delete terminal?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi,

Do we really need a new Distro?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2174725

Cheers -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans

Terminal is safe..

@Blinkincat
    I know. Theres a ton. There's been 4 submissions to distrowatch in the last week.

Do we NEED one? no, absolutely not. Really, you only NEED one linux distribution, from which you can configure to meet your needs. There's specialty distros, there's very subpar distros, there's lightweight, heavyweight, you name it. One thing that I noticed, though, is there is not one optimized for a Windows user (at least not that I'm aware of). If there are, I would consider working with them on this.

A distro with out of the box Wine, XBMC, Chrome, gpicview, gimp, VLC, etc. cuts down a new users frustration of trying to learn how to find these packages and install themselves (which they will get to eventually), and also provides a strong experience from the get-go.

That's one of my main goals.

Looked at your link. I had seen it before, but hadn't read alot of it, I guess. Maybe I'll do that instead.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

They never use terminal on Windows and OSX.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

almost never....

anyway Zorin OS does peety much just that. including it's own desktop.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

I've heard of Zorin OS in passing but never really knew what they were about. Thanks for that, my efforts are unnecessary. I will see if they need any help with anything.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jeehyun View Post
    They never use terminal on Windows and OSX.
    Speak for yourself, one of the ISP's here in British Columbia regularly asks users to run:

Code:
    cmd
    and then type:

Code:
    ipconfig /all
    to diagnose a connection problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast