Thread: Is there a default number of groups in ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Is there a default number of groups in ubuntu

Hello
    Does ubuntu have a certain number of groups built in to it? Such as admin group

Thank You

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Is there a default number of groups in ubuntu

I know of only one default group: that of a user's name. During initial configuration an Ubuntu desktop installation prompts for a user name. If the user-to-be picks joe a default group called joe will be system-created. Admin groups don't exist here. Those are a Windows concept. Permissions control access in *nix.
    In working with *nix...There be dragons. Newcomers: I recommend reading Linux is Not Windows (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm) and The Linux Command Line (http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php) before beginning your quest for a better OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I don't think that's entirely true. Running the command
    Code:
    id
    will show all groups that the current user is a part of. This will include the one mentioned by whitesmith, the one named after the user. If the user is an administrator, it will also include "adm". If the user has sudo privileges, it will include "sudo". If the user doesn't need a password to log in, it will include "nopasswdlogin". There are groups for access to some drives. The list goes on...
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Distro

Code:
    cat /etc/group
    Pretty much everything before GID 1000(Which should be the first user made's group) should be part of the default groups for your installation.
    You might add a group here or there for some programs that create ones.(I think postfix does this)
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful