Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fix for making bootable Ubuntu Live USB with persistence using Unetbootin on a Mac

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Fix for making bootable Ubuntu Live USB with persistence using Unetbootin on a Ma

Hi antoniolamb,
    did you get any error messages during the attempt at making the USB installer?
    What exact version of Ubuntu are you using?
    Do you have a different make of USB flash drive to try it on?
    My method is not foolproof it seems, as I have the odd failed attempt.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

Re: Fix for making bootable Ubuntu Live USB with persistence using Unetbootin on a Ma

Hey Quackers. Thanks for the reply. I do not get any errors in making the USB drive, and everything finishes... it's just that when everything is finished, this pops up:

I will try again and post exactly what I did. It's driving me crazy that I can't get this to work :/. I can't boot any kind of linux on this piece of crap haha. I didn't realize how bad my mac sucks :/

Beans

Alrighty... well, I made some progress. The drive actually shows up in refind now, but now this happens:

Here are my specs and what I did:
    Computer specs:
    MacBookPro8,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    graphics/displays: AMD Radeon HD 6750M (PCIe)+Intel HD Graphics 3000 (built-in)
    Ubuntu ISO: trusty-desktop-amd64+mac.iso (MD5 6a6c95faf613baa98e89895b0fc26490... verified)

What I did:

Terminal
    dhcp-209-206:~ antoniolamb$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0 [My HDD]
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *750.2 GB disk0
    1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 749.3 GB disk0s2
    3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

/dev/disk1 [<-----USB drive. I formatted as FAT32 MBR before I did everything.]

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *4.1 GB disk1
    1: EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
    2: Microsoft Basic Data UNTITLED 1 3.9 GB disk1s2
    dhcp-209-206:~ antoniolamb$ diskutil unmountdisk /dev/disk1
    Unmount of all volumes on disk1 was successful
    dhcp-209-206:~ antoniolamb$ sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdisk1
    fdisk: could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory
    Enter 'help' for information
    fdisk: 1> f 1
    Partition 1 marked active.
    fdisk:*1> write
    Writing MBR at offset 0.
    fdisk: 1> exit
    dhcp-209-206:~ antoniolamb$ diskutil unmountdisk /dev/disk1
    Unmount of all volumes on disk1 was successful
    dhcp-209-206:~ antoniolamb$ cd /Users/antoniolamb/Desktop/syslinux-6.02/bios/mbr
    dhcp-209-206:mbr antoniolamb$ sudo dd conv=notrunc bs=440 count=1 if=mbr.bin of=/dev/disk1
    1+0 records in
    1+0 records out
    440 bytes transferred in 0.018932 secs (23241 bytes/sec)
    dhcp-209-206:mbr antoniolamb$ done....

Then I went on to Unetbootin

Everything seems to go well, but then when I select "boot linux" for the thumbdrive in refind, nothing happens...

I have also tried to follow this wiki, but unfortunately, I am too much of a newb to figure out what it's saying. All I know is that I have to change something with my graphics card. Never would have thought it would be so hard to boot an OS off the thumb drive. ****ing apple.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro8-2/Raring
    Last edited by antoniolamb; November 7th, 2013 at 09:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks for all the info.
    I have had this happen once and when I re-tried it with the same flash drive it worked.
    Obviously you have tried it more than once so even though everything appears to go well it doesn't appear to work. Maybe the version of Syslinux could be a factor. I notice you used 6.02. Is the mbr.bin in the same place?
    Apple are known for their finicky nature when booting from flash drives. I presume that your Mac is capable of booting from a flash drive?

Sorry but I really don't know what to suggest other than trying other methods.

Best of luck to you.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

Just installed 13.10 on a 10,1 retina. This was a big help thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mattholl82 View Post
    Just installed 13.10 on a 10,1 retina. This was a big help thanks!
    Glad to hear that
    Glad to hear that it still works!
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

Hello Quackers,

I'm brand new to this forum and reluctantly admit I haven't posted to any forum for probably 10 years; much has changed in the way of protocol and etiquette I realize. But anyway..

Thanks for this thread, it has helped me greatly. I followed your instructions without a hitch. I copied ubuntu-13.10-desktop-amd64+mac to a PNY 8gb usb stick on a MacBook Pro mid 2012 retina (10,1). I used 8000 MB as the persistence size in unetbootin. The problem I am having is that during the boot process, after the unetbootin boootloader, no graphical screen is shown, just the text output is shown and it ends with the BusyBox [initramfs] prompt. First time I booted it ended just before this prompt, no input was excepted. Subsequent boots seem to end at this prompt. Input is excepted, I tried 'exit', which gave a couple errors both something about a kernel panic.

What do you think I should try next?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

There is a question that springs to mind. If you're using an 8GB stick and giving 8000MB to persistence it doesn't leave any space for Ubuntu. I'm surprised that Unetbootin allowed it. Are those numbers correct?
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

Thanks a million ! This saved me some serious googling and headaches.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Glad it helped
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast