Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trouble installing Lubuntu

Beans

Re: Trouble installing Lubuntu

So I should replace 12.04 with 13.04 before installing it, correct? And will it automatically create a dual boot? Will my data be intact?

Beans
    Hidden!

No, do not jump to conclusions!

It is worth testing various versions before installing anything. Such an old computer might have problems running the newest versions of Lubuntu because some drivers for old hardware have been dropped. You know that 12.04 works. You can run it again to have it as a reference (a fresh feeling or measurement, whatever suits you).

Then you can try 13.04 or even try new 13.10, that is in the pipe-line at the beta testing stage now. Try them live, but wait with the installation. You need desktop isos to test live, and you might need an alternate iso for installation, because of the low RAM.

If only 12.04 works well, you might be better off with some re-spin, for example LXLE, because standard Lubuntu 12.04 has end of life next month, while LXLE promises long time support until April 2017.

If you do not need dual boot (can skip Windows), the One Button Installer is an alternative (but I read in your first post, that you intend to keep Windows).

Anyway, partitioning and installation is risky, so backup Windows before doing anything else, unless you can and want to re-install it anyway.

Beans

Would defragmenting make it a bit safer? And I could always try the new version before installing it right?

Beans
    Hidden!

Some people think defragmenting is good, but some people say that it is not necessary, it will be done by the shrinking process anyway (when you shrink the NTFS partition to create space for Lubuntu).

And yes, you can always try the new version before installing (try live, booted from the CD/DVD/USB drive).

Beans

So, I will defragment, back up my files, boot the live USB, test it, and set up the dual boot. Just to be sure, does it set the dual boot as the default option?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Some people think defragmenting is good, but some people say that it is not necessary, it will be done by the shrinking process anyway (when you shrink the NTFS partition to create space for Lubuntu).

And yes, you can always try the new version before installing (try live, booted from the CD/DVD/USB drive).
    My feeling is that it is better to defrag first and then adjust the partitions.

Also, if OP gives you the information from sudo fdisk -l and sudo parted -l it may help with the dual boot process.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by bradley3 View Post
    So, I will defragment, back up my files, boot the live USB, test it, and set up the dual boot. Just to be sure, does it set the dual boot as the default option?
    I suggest that you do the partitioning separately with gparted and before you start the installer. Do both booted from a CD/DVD/USB drive.

This is better than to use the default option. Use 'Something else' or 'Manual partitioning' at the partitioning screen during installation..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12