Thread: External HD permissions

Beans

Unhappy External HD permissions

Using Trusty, on a desktop, I have an external Seagate HD with about 1.2TB. Mount says:
    sudo ls -l /media/don/f8d24904-06a2-4003-a7b9-8b0366de8667/ says:
    drwxrwxrwx 2 don don 16384 Feb 17 09:08 lost+found
    df -Th says:
    Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    etc ...
    /dev/sdb2 ext4 917G 72M 870G 1% /media/don/f8d24904-06a2-4003-a7b9-8b0366de8667
    ls -l /dev/sdb2
    brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 18 Feb 17 10:44 /dev/sdb2
    Root access is my "problem"
    /etc/fstab has:
    UUID=5e776f64-61d3-4c8b-9d0a-e06dc2dd400e / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
    UUID=745ad034-7a79-46d9-9cf8-1995cdbc6138 none swap sw 0 0

I'm no expert, but prefer command line. The goal is to move this HD from one Linux pc to another Linux pc and copy files onto it as a
    normal user. I've tried chmod'ing 777 etc but only the "lost+found" sub-folder changes. BTW what is lost+found?
    How can I accomplish my goal (use HD w/o being root)? Thx.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: External HD permissions

It has been years now since we needed to use the command line to create a mount point for USB devices before mounting the file system. Now we just plug them in and expect everything to be done for us automatically. In the old days we needed to use sudo commands to create the mount point first, and because of that the mount point was automatically owned by root until we chmodded it and/or chowned it. I'm not sure what's going on with Trusty, but maybe the developers are in the middle of making some changes to the way things work and for some reason it seems to be affecting the automatic mounting of USBs.

It's the mount point I would be looking at and chmodding, not stuff inside the drive itself.
    Code:
    ls -l /media
    Code:
    sudo chmod 777 /media/don
    Where: /media/don is your mount point for the file system you want access to.

The lost+found is a directory for the file system checker to put broken fragments of files in when you run a file system check after a hard shut-down or a crash, or if your hard drive is starting to fail.
    Ubuntu user since 2004 (Warty Warthog)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: External HD permissions

Thread moved to Ubuntu+1.

Any and all disucssion/troubleshooting of 14.04 LTS goes here until release in April. Thanks.