Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ubuntu seriously lagging, freezing

Beans

ubuntu seriously lagging, freezing

Hi Guys,

My Ubuntu 13.10 is acting REALLY weird. Never had a significant problem with my computer until now.

Its when I load up UBUNTU and EVERYTHING LAGS, badly. Clicking on the Ubuntu search app takes about 10 seconds before it decides to do anything, then its almost like a slow-motion replay of it appearing. frame by frame. I check sys monitor (with same results) and eventually find both CPU`s are running 70-99% when no other programme is running. I then try to shutdown UBUNTU and it TOTALLY freezes and becomes unresponsive.

Also System Updater keeps telling me some of the upgrades can`t complete, and should attempt a partial upgrade. I click on partial upgrade and nothing happens. From what I can gather the upgrade is to do with my onboard nVidia GeForce 7025 graphics card. Ubuntu shows now as a different graphics card completely that I don`t recognise.

Thinking logically I decided to do a complete reboot of UBUNTU with my 13:04 disc, choosing delete current UBUNTU and install new UBUNTU. Unfortunately when its upgrading the same problem with the Software Updater, it can`t install all updates, then when you click Partial Update, software updater disappears and nothing happens.

Do I have a virus? Can UBUNTU even get viruses? Or is my saystem too old. Bought it in 2005.

1GB DDR2 RAM
    nVidia Geforce 7050M-M motherboard
    onboard nVidia 7025 graphics card
    AMD2 3.0Mhz Dual core processor
    Last edited by David_H_Smith; September 15th, 2013 at 11:22 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: ubuntu seriously lagging, freezing

Welcome. All 13.10 support threads belong in Ubuntu +1 sub-forum. It is not released, still testing and wondering why a new-comer would choose to use it. Expect issues.

I moved it there and back as it looks like your real question is:

Do I have a virus? Can UBUNTU even get viruses?
    ... but I suspect it actually belongs elsewhere as don't think this has anything to do with viruses.

Nothing wrong with the machine specs. You should be able to run any flavour on that. Virus unlikely, I'd be looking elsewhere. If you reinstall 13.10 (probably not best for now) post all support requests in +1.

Try opening a terminal and try these two commands (in a full hard drive install):

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    ALWAYS run the first update command BEFORE the upgrade one. If you are trying to upgrade before update, could be the problem.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; September 15th, 2013 at 12:14 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

If it's still happening after you do whatever you choose to do, (reinstall 13.10, or better, I suggest, install 13.04 over the current 13.10) you can probably get some clue as to why it is lagging and freezing by using command top in terminal. This will list all running applications and services in order of their resource use, and you may get a clue about what is taking all your resources and causing the problem.

Type an upper case P to rank things according to cpu usage, and upper case M for memory usage.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Your system is over-capable of running even a loaded version of linux, so thats not a problem at all... Sounds like a deeper OS problem to me, and if you cant get any where trying to update, i definitely recommend backing up your files (run a live cd and back your files up to a external HD since it would take forever to do so in the lagging OS) and then do a fresh install of Ubuntu.

Personally i recommend the LTS versions simply because it is what it is, Long Term Support. Canonical has more focus on the 5 year release than the 9 month release and its best to stick with the stable option rather than go for the cosmetic wippity do of the newer ones. Thats a personal opinion of course, but i know theres others who agree its best to stick with LTS releases to avoid the bugs of the newer ones until the next LTS comes out.
    -CeejRab

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Unity slow motion and freezing

When I click on the unity button to open the menu everything goes in slow motion or try seems to freeze.

When clicking on gear button the restart or shutdown the same happens and the menu takes a long time to appear.

It aDual Core E5200 with 4GB memory and Intel graphics. I even did a fresh install from the daily image I downloaded on 13 September.

I think the thread can be moved back to Ubuntu+1
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; September 16th, 2013 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Clarity
    Intel E5200Dual Core CPU, Gigabyte G31 mobo, 4 GB DDR800 mem, Intel graphics, 250 GB Seagate HDD, Liteon 22x DVD Rewriter, 17" HP LCD Ubuntu User # 17508

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Previously I have had a kernel update which cause similar issues. A subsequent update sorted it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Even though the op mentions a virus, the problem has nothing to do with it. Moved back to U+1.

We need some troubleshooting data from those that have this problem. Have any of you run top, to see if there is something that is using all you resources?

Beans
    Distro

I run Saucy on a Asus EEE PC 1000HE. An odd thing is that the setting "Background blur" in Unity Tweak tool has a very big effect on Dash performance. With "Background blur" set to on it takes about a minute before it is possible to enter text in the search field. With "Background blur" set to off the computer behaves as expected.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

So I reverted back to 13:04 from a clean install and the problem seems to have sorted itself out.

Cheers guys

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 20.04 Focal Fossa

Open a terminal and type in top command. Do you see anything suspicious in terms of cpu utilization?
    Log out and then back in, does this solve the problem?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast