Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Public IP Address

Beans

No Public IP Address

Hi All,
    I am currently running a home server which has Desktop Ubuntu 12.04 on it (I prefer the option of the GUI).

When I try to find the public IP address so that I can access it from elsewhere using ipconfig or the various other commands it just shows its local address (10.0.0.xx).

It is able to access the internet.

I initially did go on an installation spree when I first got it so it may be something conflicting there. Besides that, could anyone suggest what the problem is?

Thanks

Beans

Re: No Public IP Address

What is your question?

Beans

Well basically: Why don't I have a public IP and how can I access my server over the internet?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to Server Platforms.

Slightly off topic, but you do have the option of installing the server edition and installing a lightweight desktop environment (not GUI really). Better. You don't need to install a full blown Ubuntu flavour for a desktop environment and if you just want to run it as a server not the best option.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; September 15th, 2013 at 11:57 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If your machine is able to access the internet, then it has a public IP address. From a browser, you can find out the public IP address by visiting http://whatismyipaddress.com

If you want public and/or external access to your server, you'll need to set up port forwarding with your router; the specifics vary from router to router. You'll want to give some thought to security, and take care to make sure you only open up ports that are needed.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by qwertimis View Post
    Well basically: Why don't I have a public IP and how can I access my server over the internet?
    Probably because you're behind a NAT-device (a router). Easy to check: "mtr -nrc2 8.8.8.8": see the first two or three hops: probably first a 10.x.y.z (or 192.168) address, then a public IP address

Access your server from Internet: set up port forwarding in your NAT device. See http://portforward.com/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Thread moved to Server Platforms.

Slightly off topic, but you do have the option of installing the server edition and installing a lightweight desktop environment (not GUI really). Better. You don't need to install a full blown Ubuntu flavour for a desktop environment and if you just want to run it as a server not the best option.
    Sorry for posting in the wrong spot.
    I hadn't actually thought of that - I'm not used to this whole being able to install GUI's etc, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    If your machine is able to access the internet, then it has a public IP address. From a browser, you can find out the public IP address by visiting http://whatismyipaddress.com

If you want public and/or external access to your server, you'll need to set up port forwarding with your router; the specifics vary from router to router. You'll want to give some thought to security, and take care to make sure you only open up ports that are needed.
    This IP address is the one for my router though.

Quote Originally Posted by sanderj View Post
    Probably because you're behind a NAT-device (a router). Easy to check: "mtr -nrc2 8.8.8.8": see the first two or three hops: probably first a 10.x.y.z (or 192.168) address, then a public IP address

Access your server from Internet: set up port forwarding in your NAT device. See http://portforward.com/
    I did that and got 1 local then 9 public IPs. The first one does appear to be for my server however I have enabled port forwarding and it's still not allowing me access (getting "connection refused")

Beans

"connection refused": from Internet, or from your LAN?

Anyway: you give too little details to help you. Now it is guessing for me.

Type of NAT-device, screendump of your port forwarding settings, proof that you can access your server from your LAN, and possibly public address + port

Beans

I'm attempting to ssh into it from my mac's Terminal by "ssh _user_@_ip_" and the message I get is "connection refused".

I'm sorry if I'm not giving enough details - I'm unsure of what details I need to actually give :S

It's a Telstra modem, I can get a screenshot in a second and I can access the server by using the DCHP address over the LAN.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

If your server only has an IP address of 10.something, then your router is doing Network Address Translation (NAT) as it passes your connections out to the internet.

Now the problem for the router is that although it can NAT outgoing connections by converting the address of the internal PC to its own address, if it gets a connection request coming in from the internet, it doesn't know which internal PC to pass the connection on to. You have to configure the router and explicitly tell it that you want incoming connection for port 22 (SSH servers live on port 22) to be forwarded to your home server, 10.whatever. This is known as port forwarding. Also, for this to work, your server needs to have fixed IP address so you may need to configure your DHCP server to always allocate the same address to your server.

I think you need to search for how to configure port forwarding on a telstra modem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast