Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could not write bytes : Broken pipe

Beans

Could not write bytes : Broken pipe

Hi all,

I am getting the boot menu where I can select the linux kernel 3.8 generic, but that onwards it goes to balck monitor mode and prompts the following message "Could not write bytes : Broken pipe" and stops and not able to boot further.

I hardly remember having done anything mysterious or adventurous on my machine. I was just git cloning some repositories and installing some python related libraries. The installation of ubuntu 12.04 had worked for two months without this problem.

What is the remedy for this? Only remedy visible for me as of now is to do clean installation, since I can not get network now where I can apt-get and all that. I worked with live CD, it works fine and that means, my hardware is fine.

I am able to go to safe mode while booting. Is there anything I can do in safe mode to get the X server corrected?

This is highly demoralizing for me. I loved ubuntu and freedom it offered me. But this crash of my machine is killing my spirit. Please, experts on linux and ubuntu, help me at the earliest.

Naveen C K
    Last edited by naveenchandra_kumar; September 15th, 2013 at 12:13 PM.

Beans

Re: Could not write bytes : Broken pipe

Is this correct forum for this problem?
    Last edited by naveenchandra_kumar; September 16th, 2013 at 01:32 AM.

Beans

Could not write bytes: Broken pipe

Hi all,

I am getting the boot menu where I can select the linux kernel 3.8 generic, but that onwards it goes to balck monitor mode and prompts the following message "Could not write bytes : Broken pipe" and stops and not able to boot further.

I hardly remember having done anything mysterious or adventurous on my machine. I was just git cloning some repositories and installing some python related libraries. The installation of ubuntu 12.04 had worked for two months without this problem.

What is the remedy for this? Only remedy visible for me as of now is to do clean installation, since I can not get network now where I can apt-get and all that. I worked with live CD, it works fine and that means, my hardware is fine.

I am able to go to safe mode while booting. Is there anything I can do in safe mode to get the X server corrected?

This is highly demoralizing for me. I loved ubuntu and freedom it offered me. But this crash of my machine is killing my spirit. Please, experts on linux and ubuntu, help me at the earliest.

Naveen C K
    Last edited by naveenchandra_kumar; September 16th, 2013 at 01:24 AM.

Beans

Angry What does "Broken pipe" mean?

Hi all,

Ubuntu 12.04 is not booting up with GUI, but instead shows the meassge " Could not write bytes : Broken pipe". What does this mean?

Naveen C K

Beans

Sorry all,

Looking at the cold response from the Ubuntu community I am planning for a clean installation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: What does "Broken pipe" mean?

It means you had better have a bucket handy - broken pipes tend to leak!

Sorry, I had to do that. More seriously, I believe the 'Broken Pipe' means that the system had an issue writing data somewhere. Do you get anything at all (like a login prompt with no GUI)? There is another post here about the issue occurring and related to nvidia drivers. That post is at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2058521. Maybe the purge/reinstall listed there would be of assistance to you.

Good luck.

Beans
    Hidden!

Threads merged.

Please do not start multiple threads for the same problem, it dilutes the community's ability to help.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

No login prompt is available when I get this message. black coloured blank screen with "could not write bytes : Broken pipe" message on the top-left corner.

Beans

No login is available, only black window with the message

Beans

I have seen that post, it is of no help to me as I don't get anything like he/she gets. (CLI)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast