Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Use ONLY nVidia discrete graphics on Optimus laptop N56VZ Ubuntu 13.04

Beans

Re: Use ONLY nVidia discrete graphics on Optimus laptop N56VZ Ubuntu 13.04

could it be because the intel card is incative in the xorg.conf?
    more /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    # Warning: This file is autogenerated by nvidia-prime. All changes to this file will be lost.

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "layout"
    Screen 0 "nvidia"
    Inactive "intel"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "nvidia"
    Driver "nvidia"
    BusID "1:0:0"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "nvidia"
    Device "nvidia"
    # Uncomment this line if your computer has no display devices connected to
    # the NVIDIA GPU. Leave it commented if you have display devices
    # connected to the NVIDIA GPU that you would like to use.
    Option "UseDisplayDevice" "none"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "intel"
    Driver "modesetting"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "intel"
    Device "intel"
    EndSection

Beans

The NVIDIA driver version from the nvidia-updates package is 319.32

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxisfast View Post
    Was nvidia prime package installed as well, HDMI works fine here on my laptop and I use post release. Did you try the detect displays button? Also on sound settings did you have HDMI sound selected?
    nvidia-prime is already the latest version. The detect displays button did not do anything and there was no option for HDMI sound in sound settings. Only for speakers and S/PDIF output.

Thanks for the help so far. Still have no idea what to do about his issue.

@ronmaster: have you managed to get HDMI output working in any setup with sound on your N56VZ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by bmass View Post
    nvidia-prime is already the latest version. The detect displays button did not do anything and there was no option for HDMI sound in sound settings. Only for speakers and S/PDIF output.

Thanks for the help so far. Still have no idea what to do about his issue.

@ronmaster: have you managed to get HDMI output working in any setup with sound on your N56VZ?
    Did you try the detect displays via nvidia-settings?

Beans

I had the same problem that @bmass. I installed the 319.49 nvidia driver, the very last one. Although I can load the nvidia module and use it, I cannot blast a second display through HDMI (saying in the /var/log/Xor.0.log that the 3D vision feature is not supported when I connect the cable) nor could I see the hdmi option in the output section of sound control. Just to test, I have installed Fedora 19. the install went well and the ivybridge intel driver is running the card. The hdmi display looks smoother on the LCD tv than the 12.04.03 LTS vanilla install. but sill no sound. I could not install yet the nvidia proprietary driver. It just failed while compiling it. I am thinking of installing the kmod-nvdia rpm but I suspect the embeded nvidia driver is not the lastest one.

Since Linuxisfast could successfully make the hdmi work, with the sound, on another laptop model, I am wondering if there could be a hardware difference between the hdmi connection and the nvidia card, wich is the same nvidia model. This difference is making the n56Vz to be a pain in the ass with the external display. anyway. I will still make tests with it and I will go with the linux distribution with wich I will have success. mainly fedora or ubuntu. (maybe ubuntu 13.10 will have a better luck)

Beans

Yeah I contacted ASUS about the fact that their website doesn't mention this model laptop as having 2 active GPUs or say anything at all about the intel GPU or the nVidia Optimus technology. They didn't seem to care that it would be nearly impossible to tell that laptop had two GPUs active without having it physically in front of you to run some sort of hardware analysis.

I also complained to ASUS about how they did a crappy job building the laptop but hooking the discrete card into the mobo through the integrated chip insteaed of plugging both in separately (the way they build the laptop makes it impossible to use ONLY the discrete card.... which is the card advertised as being in the laptop).

It should be noted that for those laptops built with an option to select to use only the discrete GPU in the BIOS, the standard proprietary drivers can be downloaded and installed from nVidia's website or by any of the normal methods. The activity of the intel GPU interferes with these drivers... that's balderdash but as soon as I mentioned Linux to ASUS they popped me the middle finger.

I was never able to get this working. I contacted the retailer I purchased these laptops and my S56CM from and demanded a refund because the laptops were not advertised with 2 GPUs (I also had a lot of other issues with the retailer including them trying to send me a cheaper model of the N56VZ without mentioning anything or crediting my account; then they shiested me even further when I contacted them about it which is why I am returning all of my laptops).

Thank you for your help. I will doing a little more research for my laptop purchase to find one that only uses one GPU and no intel graphics.I

Incidently the retailer is NMicroVIP, I intend to report them on ripoffreport, redflagdeals, and a bunch of other sites as soon as I get a new working laptop.

Beans
    Distro

All laptops sold today are Muxless so that means only way to switch them is via Bumblebee in Linux or use Windows where Nvidia driver does it automatically for you.

Beans

OK, So I have an Asus N56VZ as well with the GT-650M card running Linux Mint 15 (Basically Ubuntu 13.04).. Same problem, as everyone else whereby xrandr doesn't detect the HDMI port If I export the display (export DISPLAY=:8.0) and I run xrandr it only sees the HDMI port.. I still haven't got my head around this as yet but I managed to get my display to use my HDMI port to my TV via scripts. I was using the nvidia proprietry driver (ver 325.15) and the latest version of bumblebee.. (note when I run optirun Nvidia-settings -c :8 it sees the HDMI output (TV) but no other monitor such as my LVDS-0)

e.g.

#/bin/bash

#Set the HDMI Display

export DISPLAY=:8.0 LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/nvidia-325:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH LD_PRELOAD="libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1" __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1

optirun nvidia-settings -c :8 --assign CurrentMetaMode="DFP-0: 1920x1080 {ViewPortIn=1920x1080, ViewPortOut=1820x1020+50+30}" &

sleep 1

optirun mate-wm &

sleep 2

optirun steam

It is an ugly hack but it really works well for Steam games.. Now the tricky bit is I just installed nvidia-prime and randr 1.4 and now I have no need to run the optimus script which great and if you can believe it I am getting approx. 1400fps when testing glxspheres (32bit I think) at a rez of 1920x1080 on the LVDS laptop screen.. Only prob is now I cannot see my HDMI port any longer.. As this has been a work in progress I may have corrupted some things so I am going to attempt a re-install from scratch of everything with how i think it should be installed and in what order. I'm slowly piecing this together as currently there are so many changes with the new version of randr coming out, the latest nvidia drivers etc..

Also I installed from the same install disk a vanilla copy of Ubuntu (I did this with mint as well) 4 times to see what would happen.. No matter what I did I would end up with a slightly different config each time, It depended on what version in the repository was available at the time of install.. So good luck and hopefully together we can get this solved..

Beans
    Distro

Thumbs up Re: Use ONLY nVidia discrete graphics on Optimus laptop N56VZ Ubuntu 13.04

Thanks for a heads up on both a means to use nVIDIA® GPU's on an Intel® Core™ i7™ rig and complications to watch out for. My own current plans for a Haswell build include an ATi®-based video card due to better open-source support; but the Bumblebee Project™ gives me an option in the event that I do need a video card based on an nVIDIA® GK-series GPU (192-, 256-, and 384-bit GeForce® GTX™ 4xx, 5xx, or 6xx models) for specific functionality such as TwinView™ for presentations. I plan to use the in-APU Intel® Multimedia Accelerator™ primarily as a text display for back-end monitoring, to stand in for a dedicated serial terminal.
    Gigabyte MA78GM-S2HP / AMD Athlon X2 5600+
    Audio: Creative Laboratoies SB0350 (PCI)
    Video: ATI Radeon HD 3200 (planar)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Why not use Bumblebee? It has worked for me and it provides power-saving alongside performance.

From Ubuntu 13.10 and onwards, Bumblebee will be in official repositories alongside the nvidia-319 drivers. Have fun!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast