Thread: LM-Sensors Site Warns of Potential Hardware Damage

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

LM-Sensors Site Warns of Potential Hardware Damage

A September 5, 2013 entry at the lm-sensors site (http://www.lm-sensors.org/) warns of "serious trouble", potentially hardware damage, running sensor-detect in lm-sensors version 3.3.2 or lower, and recommending patches for those packages.

The Raring repository contains 3.3.2 and the changelog does not indicate the patches have been included.

Is a patched deb of 3.3.2 available elsewhere?

(3.3.3 is in the Saucy repo, but I'm not comfortable deleting the dependencies it wants to.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: LM-Sensors Site Warns of Potential Hardware Damage

When you run through the sensors-detect query process, there are several warnings and disclaimers as probing the hardware directly can cause some issues on some hardware. I have never heard or read about such an issue. Immunizations are supposed to keep you from getting sick, yet people get sick from them.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: LM-Sensors Site Warns of Potential Hardware Damage

Right, I am familiar with using sensor-detect.

The post by the lm-sensor devs does not make it clear if this problem is actually flagged by sensors-detect in 3.3.2 and lower. I suspect it is not because they went out of their way to post the warning and to create the patch.

It seems prudent that the package in the Raring repos would be patched and bumped to 3.3.3. The most recent entry in the changelog in the repo is about one year old.