Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ltsp- need non-pae kernel

Beans

ltsp- need non-pae kernel

How would one tell LTSP to use/make a non PAE kernel? Im using older i386's for terminals and the kernel is the only remaining holdup.

Beans

Re: ltsp- need non-pae kernel

I found that 10.04 (lucid) is non-PAE. so I ran...
    Code:
    sudo ltsp-build-client --dist lucid --arch i386

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

10.04 is out of support and hence a security breach.

Here's a guide to solving the PAE problem in a recent Buntu release.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Fenderian_Mayhew View Post
    How would one tell LTSP to use/make a non PAE kernel? Im using older i386's for terminals and the kernel is the only remaining holdup.
    What kind of processors are there in those old i386 computers?

- older than Pentium II? - you need a non-pae kernel
    - Celeron M or Pentium M? - you can use fake-pae and run pae kernels
    - other processors (including Pentium II) - you can run pae kernels

You can also consider the tips from this link Old hardware

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    - Celeron M or Pentium M? - you can use fake-pae and run pae kernels
    These are M275's w/Pentium M's (400mhzFSB) and... whats this about "fake PAE?" All these sound like doable options including skiping Ubuntu all together (TC, Puppy, Debian etc.) The knut of the problem is i dont know how to safely anipulate the ltsp root dir's and images to use an alternate kernel or image. I did attempt to use --dist wheezy or --dist potato but apt attempted to call the files from the ubuntu archives.
    Last edited by Fenderian_Mayhew; September 15th, 2013 at 03:11 PM.

Beans

I am attempting to setup a ltsp with the "ltsp-build-client" tool so my options are slim. I cant find any way to define Xubuntu or Lubuntu as client.
    using --dist and --mirrors options for a debian client (with approperate URL's) yeilds falures due to certen packages/folders not being available
    Last edited by Fenderian_Mayhew; September 15th, 2013 at 03:51 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

These are M275's w/Pentium M's (400mhzFSB) and... whats this about "fake PAE?" All these sound like doable options including skiping Ubuntu all together (TC, Puppy, Debian etc.) The knut of the problem is i dont know how to safely anipulate the ltsp root dir's and images to use an alternate kernel or image. I did attempt to use --dist wheezy or --dist potato but apt attempted to call the files from the ubuntu archives.
    I have an IBM Thinkpad T42 with such a Pentium M CPU and a friend has a Thinkpad T41. I know that it works well with fake-PAE, because I have used it for a long time now. See this link

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu-fake-PAE

Beans
    Hidden!

I am attempting to setup a ltsp with the "ltsp-build-client" tool so my options are slim. I cant find any way to define Xubuntu or Lubuntu as client.
    using --dist and --mirrors options for a debian client (with approperate URL's) yeilds falures due to certen packages/folders not being available
    Your method will probably give a good result but it is more complicated.

Fake-PAE gives you access to the new versions of Ubuntu flavours like Lubuntu and Xubuntu and also Precise Gnome Classic Tweaks

If you are happy with a single boot system without Windows, you can use the One Button Installer, 'OBI' to install your Ubuntu based operating system in an easy way.

Beans

I believe there's a misunderstanding on whats being attempted. I am trying to setup a PXE booted LTSP server on a 64bit machine w/32bit non pae systems as the thin clients.
    I have been able to get the server setup but the image/kernel used contains PAE.
    its not a question of using x/l/edu/buntu beacuse ltsp-build-client won't allow any other system but ubuntu 12.04 and up to be installed in the ltsp root DIR.
    every attempt at aquiring/installing/replacing ubuntu 12.04 as the LTSP system with an approperate system has failed
    10.04 resulted in a failed image creation
    debian (with approperate mirror) failed due to locales-gen not existing.

Beans
    Hidden!

It is not only a misunderstanding. It seems I don't understand at all, how systems with thin clients work

Will you net-boot these thin clients, or have they got their own operating systems?

I think that there is an Ubuntu 12.04 mini-iso with non-pae kernel. It might help to start from there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast