disappointed that the world of linux remains so clunky

I wanted to write some HTML
    I thought I would use an HTML editor
    An online article recommended seamonkey
    Great, I already have seamonkey installed
    Seamonkey tells me I have an out of date version
    I go to Ubuntu Software Centre to update
    Ubuntu Software Centre knows about Seamonkey
    ... but .... here we enter the Linux world of pain .... there is no install link
    And so I have had the usual Linux horror story experience trying to install this and create a desktop shortcut
    I realise now I should have just used the out of date version

It appears this problem has been around for a while
    I am not going to waste anymore time looking into this
    But if neither seamonkey or ubuntu can solve this in a generic way
    Not another tweak or fix or patch
    Then I once again despair for the future of ubuntu and Linux
    Shame

Beans

Re: disappointed that the world of linux remains so clunky

Do you want to know how to install Seamonkey or do you want to blow off steam? Several of us have installed Seamonkey without issue.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Why have you posted this in a support section? When all you want to do is complain. If you already have Seamonkey installed then it should be obvious that the Ubuntu Software Centre will not provide an Install option but only a Remove option. This is not a fault but a protection.

If your present version of Seamonkey can do everything that you require, then you do not need an updated version, do you? If Seamoney is saying that your version is out of date, then Seamonkey should provide a means of updating the version. If it doesn't then that is the failure of the Seamonkey developers and not the developers of Ubuntu.

How did you install Seamonkey? From a download? I do not see Seamoney in the Ubuntu Software Centre. I suggest that you remove the present install of Seamonkey and download the newer version and install that.

If the world of Linux is clunky, then remember, it is also free to download.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just because you don't want to learn, doesn't make Linux clunky.

It's trivially easy to download Seamonkey from the Mozilla site, and run it. No clunkiness required.

Or add a PPA to install it through Software Center. It's a one-liner.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS chat.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by richard-3141 View Post
    I wanted to write some HTML
    I thought I would use an HTML editor
    An online article recommended seamonkey
    Great, I already have seamonkey installed
    Seamonkey tells me I have an out of date version
    I go to Ubuntu Software Centre to update
    Ubuntu Software Centre knows about Seamonkey
    ... but .... here we enter the Linux world of pain .... there is no install link
    And so I have had the usual Linux horror story experience trying to install this and create a desktop shortcut
    I realise now I should have just used the out of date version

It appears this problem has been around for a while
    I am not going to waste anymore time looking into this
    But if neither seamonkey or ubuntu can solve this in a generic way
    Not another tweak or fix or patch
    Then I once again despair for the future of ubuntu and Linux
    Shame
    What problem are you referring to?

If memory serves (bear in mind that SeaMonkey is essentially an updated version of a defunct browser suite kept alive by some developers because, well, because they can and they want to) SeaMonkey offers an internal upgrade option. At the least, it might have been wise to look for one within SeaMonkey. Or, at the SeaMonkey site.

Software Center is a simplified application Ubuntu uses to ease the installation and deletion of software packages. Ubuntu provides a separate application to update software. Perhaps SeaMonkey is updatable via that tool.

SeaMonkey is an independent project. It is not exclusively a Linux project. Concerns about it should be addressed to the SeaMonkey developers.

If you think Software Center should provide an update capaility, that should be addressed to Ubuntu developers.

To be honest, the only "problem" I see here is that you made a mistaken assumption about how something should work. Then, rather than find out how it really works (perhaps, by searching on "Ubuntu update SeaMonkey") you became frustrated and posted a drive-by rant here.
    Last edited by buzzingrobot; September 14th, 2013 at 02:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

OK. SeaMonkey was last in the Ubuntu repositories in the Lucid Lynx release. It is not in any repo for any supported release.

Per the SeaMonkey site, the current stable release is 2.20. I found no Ubuntu-compatible deb packages there.

Here is a link to some info about Seamonkey on Ubuntu: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SeaMonkey Note that some of the info is outdated, particularly the directions to install via apt-get. However, there are links at the bottom to PPA's that provided Seamonkey packages for Ubuntu. One of them appears still active, with the latest version at 2.19.

As for *updating* via Software Center: I have found that if I have installed an Ubuntu package from a non-Ubuntu location, and later download a deb containing an upgrade to that package, Software Center *may* offer an update option (activate it by clicking on the deb package, perhaps specifically selecting Software Center if you have altered the default preferences). I don't use that approach because Software Center does not show you any dependencies it will also download.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How old an article was it to be offering/recommending seamonkey over other editors, such as bluefish, as an html editor?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Seems to have been last edited in April 2013. There's no recommendation of it specifically as an HTML editor, just a quick overview of its features.

I found and installed a deb for the 2.20 release at UbuntuUpdates, from the Ubuntuzilla site. It includes a built-in update feature.

Beans

I hate it when people simply sign up to troll. 0 beans, and he doesn't even come back to reply.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast