Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Linux/Flash problem

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: The Linux/Flash problem

Quote Originally Posted by carl4926 View Post
    Some get a reasonable work around to this by using flash 10.3
    Better to use flash 11.1, surely as shown in my post #7, or is there a good reason for flash 10.3; is it more secure than11.1?
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Does flash work at all for you, and what exactly do you mean by oldish computer; what is your hardware?

If you are stuck on 10.04 because you can't run unity, or because a non-pae kernel is a problem for you in 12.10 or 13.04, you could try something like Xubuntu 12.04 which is still available, I think with non-pae kernel.

If your cpu does not support sse2, meaning that flash version 11.2 is not working you can still get version 11.1, which should still work for you. See Flash 11.1.102-63 but if this si your situation, make sure you run flash-block or noscript add-on to keep security as tight as possible.
    I have a 1.6GHz processor and 1.2 GiB memory, the computer is at least 6 years old, possibly more.
    I know about downgrading to an earlier version of Flash but there are security issues and I am not techy enough to do it, anyway.

From the answers I've received so far it sounds like there isn't a real solution to this problem, just work-arounds, am I right?

Is Flash working on newer distros and is this likely to become a problem for them also?

Beans
    Hidden!

What cpu do you have? Many of the older AMD processors do not have sse2 capability and that was my problem for my old desktop with a Sempron 2400+ cpu. I used the flash 11.1 workaround which I mentioned earlier, and it is really not difficult to do; just follow the info on that page to extract the libflashplayer.so file from the archive and put it in the hidden ~/.mozilla/plugins folder. Simple and effective, and if you have a non sse2 cpu, it is your only option.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I think you have hit the nail on the head AJ, I have an AMD Athlon CPU.

I'm sorry to see that this is my only option though, to my mind it shouldn't be a necessity to take a backwards step in order to keep things working properly. I'm wondering if this withdrawal of support from Adobe could signal the beginning of the end for Linux unless a programmer can write a new, direct replacement for Flash. It seems pretty big and serious.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Chrome still gives you an updated Flash for Linux (11.8.something). see this page: http://www.adobe.com/nl/software/flash/about/ So for Linux in general it's not over for Flash.
    "I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." --Flash Rosenberg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The current flash version in the repositories gets security updates from Adobe until something like 2017. I haven't run into anything flash related that doesn't work with that flash version, most sites require version 10.x for video. Games may be a different story. Mozilla is working on something called Shumway. I installed it and for sites that support it, you'd never know it wasn't Adobe flash. As others have said, Chrome or there's a ppa around to install pepper flash on Chromium. The lack of current flash may be a pain but I've never noticed any issues with the 11.2xxx whatever. I had an AMD Athlon single core setup that had a real problem with flash so yeah, that could be an issue. Even a dual core Athlon II X2 runs about 50% on each core playing a flash video the last time I checked. Flash is a pig but I'm sure it'll be around a lot longer than we'd prefer due to inertia.

Beans
    Hidden!

However that version of flash in chrome will still not work with your Athlon cpu, I'm afraid. I tried that with my Sempron but still no-go, which was very disappointing.

You say "to my mind it shouldn't be a necessity to take a backwards step in order to keep things working properly." but in fact that is nothing new; there has always been a problem with software overtaking the ability of hardware, and this is just another example of that.

Progress, I'm afaid!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    You say "to my mind it shouldn't be a necessity to take a backwards step in order to keep things working properly." but in fact that is nothing new; there has always been a problem with software overtaking the ability of hardware, and this is just another example of that.
    Not quite the same thing though AJ, this is more a case of a major software company throwing a strop and depriving us of an essential piece of software, if I understand what has happened correctly.

No one has yet answered my question: Does the latest distro of Ubuntu work with Flash videos ok, no issues at all?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You can't say that in general. On my hardware Flash works fine with 13.04 and Firefox 23. Yeah I'm on Kubuntu not Ubuntu but that shouldn't make a difference for Flash comatability.
    "I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." --Flash Rosenberg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Extreedoc View Post

No one has yet answered my question: Does the latest distro of Ubuntu work with Flash videos ok, no issues at all?
    If you combine your options of Firefox + Google Chrome, it's 99% OK
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast