Thread: How can I tell where my PHP pages are spending the most time in functions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

How can I tell where my PHP pages are spending the most time in functions?

I wrote a PHP application and it's completely function based with separate classes. It takes quite a while to load some of the heavier pages so I was wondering if there's any way to see a graph of which functions is taking up most of the time. Both in the PHP and the Javascript.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristam Green View Post
    I can tell you something about a turntable.
    I have two of them.
    And a microphone.
    Where it's at.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How can I tell where my PHP pages are spending the most time in functions?

Not that I know of, though you could sprinkle in a few commands to echo a timestamp at various points along the way.

Does this application extract information from a database? In my experience PHP scripts themselves are never slow, but queries against a poorly-indexed SQL database can bog things down a lot. Make sure any SELECTs use keys that have corresponding indexes in the DB; if you are selecting on multiple fields, you need an index that incorporates all those fields. Use the SQL "analyze" command as well.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: How can I tell where my PHP pages are spending the most time in functions?

There are several linux performance tools. strace is one of them. I don't know of any for PHP specifically, but there are some webpage metrics. I know that sugarcrm is based on PHP and had built-in query timing so you could see which query pages were taking a long time. I would look at the source code/PHP to see how those metrics are generated and apply to your code.

Search here: http://forums.sugarcrm.com/

Overview of PHP performance tweaks: http://support.sugarcrm.com/04_Find_...ormance_Tweaks
    Last edited by tgalati4; September 11th, 2013 at 04:29 PM.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.