Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module

Quote Originally Posted by houstonbofh View Post
    I would purge them, but that is just me.
    I've now done apt-get remove --purge on each one and that took out a few extra, leaving me with just

nvidia-319
    nvidia-common
    nvidia-settings-319

which seems about right.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Looks great! I think you're all set.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hmmm. The problem that I was originally having (subject of thread) seems gone. In the process of all this I have rebooted lots of times and have not gotten the error. (I have also completely uninstalled all the nvidia packages and reinstalled nvidia-319 and nvidia-common. nvidia-settings-319 was picked up automatically along the way.)

However now when I use nvidia-settings it core dumps. (This was not happening when I had the "304" version installed.) Fortunately this occurs when I exit the program so is not a showstopper. This happens even if I do nothing while in the program i.e. type nvidia-settings at shell prompt, the "NVIDIA X Server Settings" window comes up (looks fine), click Quit button, click Quit on confirmation dialog box, shell window shows message "Segmentation fault (core dumped)". {I let it send a report the first time. It doesn't seem to want to report it again, which makes sense.} Anyone else experiencing this problem? In which directory do core dumps go anyway?

Still. That's about 10 steps forward and half a step back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You don't need to use the Nvidia Settings program anymore, as the standard Ubuntu System Settings app is capable of changing the screen resolution and orientation.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I use my laptop primarily as a desktop replacement and with an external monitor connected by HDMI. I was using nvidia-settings to configure for external monitor as primary display and laptop display disabled (whereas on booting up it was always configuring by default as a single double-width display, if that makes sense). Maybe the support of this type of configuration (Edit: dual monitor) has improved over the months.
    Last edited by Newbunto; October 7th, 2013 at 11:24 PM. Reason: clarify

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It definitely has. The 319 Nvidia driver supports XRandR which lets Ubuntu manage the display automatically, rather than needing the Nvidia driver to do it exclusively.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    You don't need to use the Nvidia Settings program anymore
    It seems as if mucking around with the displays is still needed in a dual display config.

(Most of the time) I boot up with the lid closed and an external monitor connected. It's impossible to say what the built-in display is doing but things mostly seem to work on the external monitor i.e. can log in, dash home and launcher are on the external monitor, starting applications works and they come up on the external monitor.

However when I start Transmission, the launcher shows the application as running but it never comes up. I suspect that it is deciding to put its window on the built-in display.

Using nvidia-settings, it suggests that it is in "Twinview" mode (two displays side-by-side making a single larger display). Disabling the built-in display and then starting Transmission makes it work correctly (other than that nvidia-settings core dumps on exit, as noted previously).

Are you saying that I don't need nvidia-settings anymore because "System Settings / Displays" can do the same job?

What I really want is that I don't need to use either when I boot up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes, using the built-in Displays tool will work without needing nvidia-settings.

First, you may need to enter this command in the terminal:

sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Next, disable the built-in display in the Display settings, then click Apply. These settings should be automatically applied in the future, whenever you log in.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    Next, disable the built-in display in the Display settings, then click Apply. These settings should be automatically applied in the future, whenever you log in.
    Yes, that seems to be working. (Boot up and login from scratch and only external monitor is in use and all tested applications come up correctly on the external monitor.)

However the original problem as per the thread title is back. The kernel just upgraded itself from 3.2.0-54 to 3.2.0-55 and on the restart after that I get low graphics mode and "failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module". A further restart did not fix the problem. (When this problem is occurring I can reliably get a console login and do stuff.) So I decided to shutdown completely (shutdown with halt and power off) rather than just restarting and then press the laptop's power button to power on and boot up again and now it's OK. I have no way of knowing whether anything that I am doing is helping.

I think it would be fair to say that I rarely "restart" i.e. typically only on kernel updates. If I am shutting down at all then it would typically be a shutdown to halt and power off. So maybe there's some hardware state that isn't reset properly on a "restart".

On a restart after a kernel update I would normally open up the lid, just in case something has gone wrong with the update. (Again, though, possibly over the months the support for an external monitor has improved and this is unnecessary.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

This is still driving me nuts. I really have no idea what is needed to get this to work reliably.

I had to reboot about 5 times this morning in order to get the laptop to boot up to the login screen. Otherwise it gives the error as originally reported.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast