Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rainbow colors cover Launcher and top panel

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Rainbow colors cover Launcher and top panel

This has been like this for the past 3 days, of iso zsyncing. 'nomodeset' is the only option that stops it, with limited resolution. 'nvidia.modeset=0, or modeset=0 doesn't affect it.
    No bug reports that I could find. Anyone else see this.
    Last edited by VMC; September 12th, 2013 at 04:42 AM. Reason: re-sized image

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Rainbow colors cover Launcher and top panel

I am now trying today's daily image. I do not get that effect when I run the TRY option from the text screen. Or when I allow the image to load to the GUI TRY - INSTALL dialog. Although at that screen I do get a stack of eight top panels. It has been like that for days. But the actual Live session seems normal.

For the record, the live session is not running on Xmir. So, we cannot blame that.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post

For the record, the live session is not running on Xmir. So, we cannot blame that.
    That would have been my next question.

Also, I did go ahead and install it the first time this came up, just to see if anything changed - it didn't.

If anyone else has the "nVidia Geforce 6150 SE" could you please test it. Thanks.

Time for a bug report.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    That would have been my next question.

Also, I did go ahead and install it the first time this came up, just to see if anything changed - it didn't.

If anyone else has the "nVidia Geforce 6150 SE" could you please test it. Thanks.

Time for a bug report.
    Is that effect caused by/using nouveau or nvidia driver?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Its caused by booting a LiveCD, no drivers installed. And I don't install any. The default driver needs may be the issue.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    Its caused by booting a LiveCD, no drivers installed. And I don't install any. The default driver needs may be the issue.
    So it will be nouveau that's in control. I have a 8600gt i'll give the live usb a go tomoz. See if I get same.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Something weird is going on with that display. If, for example, push hard right, the Launcher comes into view and the color then follows the mouse. The top panel cannot change rainbow colors, but I can right click and open stuff.
    I tried the usual suspects; compiz --replace, gtk-window-decorator replace, etc. I'm just waiting for someone else with a integrated nvidia chip to chime in.

Soon enough I will report the problem to the authorities.

Beans

Don't see any issue here with a nvidia 8400m which is nv50 in nouveau.
    Your card is nv40 in nouveau so I'd look for others with similar, (nv40), chipsets (6000 & 7000 series

Beans
    Distro

Just booted daily live iso on a machine with 8600gt and all is fine with that gpu.

Beans

Yes, I have the exact same issue with an Nvidia GeForce 7300 GS video card when using the nouveau driver. The launcher flickers in and out of view, but the tooltips are rainbow-colored translucent blocks. The dash is sort of a translucent yellow. And the top bar remains as in your picture above. It does respond to mouse clicks by showing menus, if you know where to click.

I don't know how to solve the problem using the nouveau driver. Installing the proprietary nvidia driver (from the repositories) does solve the problem. (Note: you can install the nvidia driver from the repositories even if you're running from live media; it just takes a bit of work.)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast