Thread: How to enter BIOS? Acer Aspire S5 ultranotebok

Beans

Question How to enter BIOS? Acer Aspire S5 ultranotebok

EDIT: Solved! see my other post in this thread.
    -----------------
    I want to explore installing linux to my ultranotebook, first thing i want to do is take a look at the bios because the system has two 128GB sata drives configured in a RAID array for speed, Windows 7 (I know this just from googling reviews, etc). Hoping I might find a way to keep Windows on one drive, linux on the other. But I can not figure out how to boot into the BIOS on this laptop, I have never had a computer where I could not get into the BIOS. I have tried ESC, F1, F2, F12, DEL.
    [EDIT: I just tried Fn+F2,F3,F4,F5,F6,F7,F8,F9,F10,F11. No joy]
    Okay I have not tried F3-F11 but I imagine the Acer engineers have made it something funky like CtrlAltF2 or something, just hoping someone might have insight on this. I will also try contacting Acer but their support page makes it kind of a pain to do that, not sure if I ever registered my laptop with them for warranty (needed for tech support) because I got a SquareTrade warranty with this laptop when I bought it.
    Last edited by Coder88; September 10th, 2013 at 01:57 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: How to enter BIOS ?!? (Acer Aspire S5 ultranotebok)

Thread moved to General Help.

F2 according to a search on the interwebs.

If it didn't work perhaps you are not hitting it soon enough.

The manual will tell you. If you don't have one it is available on the net no doubt.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; September 10th, 2013 at 01:26 PM.

Beans

Re: How to enter BIOS ?!? (Acer Aspire S5 ultranotebok)

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Thread moved to General Help.

F2 according to a search on the interwebs. If it didn't work perhaps you are not hitting it soon enough.....
    holy sheeeeet, you were right! I rapidly tapped F2 then turned on the power button then kept rapidly tapping F2 and booted into an actual BIOS setup menu!!!

part of the problem was that this laptop is too damn fast, it literally is the fastest laptop on the market because of two sata drives in a RAID array for speed. So if you are too slow tapping F2 you get a non-bios menu of Windows 7 safe mode stuff and such. I had to be very quick tapping F2, so I did it BEFORE turning on the power and continued to rapidly tap it once the power button was on. That got me to an actual BIOS setup.
    Last edited by Coder88; September 10th, 2013 at 02:04 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: How to enter BIOS? Acer Aspire S5 ultranotebok

I hear ya. Sometimes hard to catch that moment. I call it 'mashing' the F2 key (or whichever key it is) directly after switching on, generally.

Actually, it is so fast that you don't even get the chance to see the message that tells you which key to press to get to the BIOS! It is there as a rule, just flashes by too quickly to catch.

Good luck.