Thread: Ubuntu Server backup solution

Hybrid View

Beans

Ubuntu Server backup solution

I'm new to the Ubuntu world and looking for some advice for a backup solution. We currently use Symantec for our windows machines but Symantec offers little support with Ubuntu 12.04 which leads me to believe there has to be another solution for a small business to enterprise level backup.

Thanks in advance,

V

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu Server backup solution

Welcome to the forums!

There is a page on the wiki called BackupYourSystem that might answer your questions. Hope that helps

~Caboose
    UA Team Member
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss
    "No man has ever seen his dreams fulfilled and regretted the sacrifice necessary to fulfill them" -- Mattie Montgomery

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Add luckyBackup to the list of options.

Beans

I guess what I was hoping for was a solution like that of Backup Exec where you could set backups from a remote machine through a graphical interface. Something that would work with Ubuntu but also with Windows machines.

Any Admins using something like this?

Thanks,
    V

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Without going to indepth, what is the general setup that you have for a backup solution? (One central backup system, multiple systems that mirror backups, etc)

I believe Bacula would be something that is similar to what you are used too.

Also there is Amanda however I think Bacula has more features.

~Caboose
    Last edited by Caboose885; September 10th, 2013 at 02:59 PM. Reason: typo fixes
    UA Team Member
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss
    "No man has ever seen his dreams fulfilled and regretted the sacrifice necessary to fulfill them" -- Mattie Montgomery