Thread: Black window squares after opening an application. How to make them disappear?

Beans

Black window squares after opening an application. How to make them disappear?

Hi

I am running Lubuntu 13.04 with LXDE.

Occasionally and quite randomly, when I open an Application, it leaves a black square behind. When I close this application (using the X button), the square will sometimes go with the closure of the application that opened it but mostly doesn't. I end up restarted to make the damn thing disappear.

Example is attached.

It has occurred to me that it would be useful to check Task Manager to ensure that the application has actually closed (and if not, close it). I will do this next time it pop ups and post result.

In the meantime, any way to refresh LXDE or prevent the squares from appearing in the first place?

Thanks

EDIT: I opened Squeeze to extract a file and another black box appeared. Squeeze closed after extracting and I consequently checked Task Manager. Squeeze was not listed as a running process. I can only assume that this means LXDE is not clearing up disposed Windows properly (as opposed to Task Manager not handling GUI processes properly). Hope that helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BigTobster; September 10th, 2013 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Extra Info