Thread: What's the best codec to capture screencasts in for editing?

Beans

What's the best codec to capture screencasts in for editing?

I want to record some screencasts but i will require to do some editing afterwards. I have ffmpeg set up to record my second monitor and it's currently set to capture as .mp4. I don't know enough about video formats and i want to make sure i get the best possible quality uploaded to youtube. I understand that some compression happens on loading up videos too? Or is there a format that youtube prefers and it won't compress any further? So my question is two-fold -

Which format should I capture at?
    Which format should I export my final screencast as from either openshot or kdenlive?

Here is my current command -

ffmpeg -an -f x11grab -r 25 -s 1440x900 -i :0.0+1280 -vcodec libx264 -vpre lossless_medium -threads 0 $HOME/Screencasts/screencast_video_$DATE-$TIME.mp4

Any other tips would be great. Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: What's the best codec to capture screencasts in for editing?

Welcome.

Which screencasts are you looking to capture? Could you provide a link? Might help.

Beans

Hi and thanks. I want to do some tutorials so I want to capture my own screencasts. I am able to do that with ffmpeg. I just want to know what combination would give me the best end result, the format of the initial screencast and the outputted format when I export them after first doing some editing.
    Last edited by coeg2; September 10th, 2013 at 01:55 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coeg2 View Post
    Or is there a format that youtube prefers and it won't compress any further?
    There is not. YouTube will always, as far as I know, re-encode anything you feed it.

Which format should I capture at?
    You should use a lossless format that is editor friendly. huffyuv comes to mind:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -f x11grab -r 25 -s 1440x900 -i :0.0+1280 -vcodec huffyuv output.mkv
    This will result in a large file, but it can be considered to be temporary since you're planning on editing it. If your editor handles lossless H.264 video then you can use that instead. See HOWTO: Proper Screencasting on Linux.

Which format should I export my final screencast as from either openshot or kdenlive?
    As high quality as practical for you to upload, so that means using libx264 for H.264 video. I know Kdenlive uses ffmpeg, but I'm not familiar with the presets. You can make a custom preset using the following settings:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i input -vcodec libx264 -preset medium -crf 18 -acodec libfaac -aq 100 output.mp4
    This should create an output that is roughly visually lossless, although the eventual colorspace conversion (on your end or YouTube's) from rgb to yuv will cause some artifacts and color loss that you may or may not notice. I'm not sure what can be done about that.

Here is my current command
    Code:
    ffmpeg -an -f x11grab -r 25 -s 1440x900 -i :0.0+1280 -vcodec libx264 -vpre lossless_medium -threads 0 $HOME/Screencasts/screencast_video_$DATE-$TIME.mp4
    Any other tips would be great. Thanks
    I can't give any suggestions for this command because the complete ffmpeg console output showing the configuration and version information is missing.
    Last edited by FakeOutdoorsman; September 10th, 2013 at 06:18 PM.