Thread: Dual Boot with an existing install

Beans

Dual Boot with an existing install

Hi

I have installed Ubuntu on my parents machine on a new SSD. They now want access to certain windows software and i want set up to dual boot. When I installed Ubuntu I left the existing XP install, which is on the original hdd in the machine but, without a sata cable connecting it to the mother board so, as far as Ubuntu knew when it was installed there was no other operating system. This means that Grub does not offer the option to boot the XP drive now that i have connected it back to the motherboard.

Is there a quick fix for this by sorting grub out or is a fresh Ubuntu install a better bet?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

Chris

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Dual Boot with an existing install

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_OHagan View Post
    Hi

I have installed Ubuntu on my parents machine on a new SSD. They now want access to certain windows software and i want set up to dual boot. When I installed Ubuntu I left the existing XP install, which is on the original hdd in the machine but, without a sata cable connecting it to the mother board so, as far as Ubuntu knew when it was installed there was no other operating system. This means that Grub does not offer the option to boot the XP drive now that i have connected it back to the motherboard.

Is there a quick fix for this by sorting grub out or is a fresh Ubuntu install a better bet?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

Chris

Welcome to UF.

Open a terminal (pressing Ctrl+Alt+T at the same time) and run
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    should fix it.

If that does not then there is always Boot Repair. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Beans

Sir you are a gent. Many thanks indeed it worked a treat

Regards

Chris

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Please mark the thread as solved by clicking "Thread Tools" above ^^
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!