Thread: How do I report moderator abuse?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

How do I report moderator abuse?

Recently, I was given an "infraction" for an post that was clearly not an insult. That in itself is a clear violation of the CoC. Please tell me I don't have to put up with this. Not on this forum.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: How do I report moderator abuse?

Moved to the Resolution Centre, the appropriate place to ask.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests by PM, thanks |

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

First thing - Please take note of this part of the forum Code of Conduct:

Respect the Forum Staff: We provide a service in our free time to keep the forums running efficiently. We are all volunteers. Feedback is welcome in Forum Feedback & Help , this is also the place to request assistance with forum software issues. If you believe an error has been made in moderation or other staff actions, please post politely in the Resolution Center and help us understand your perspective.
    Emphasis on "politely". Accusing a member of forum staff of "abuse" is not a good way to help us understand your perspective.

Anyway - I am listening. You say that the post was not an insult. I would be glad if you could explain how describing anyone as a "brilliant con artist" is not insulting.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by rai_shu2 View Post
    Recently, I was given an "infraction" for an post that was clearly not an insult. That in itself is a clear violation of the CoC. Please tell me I don't have to put up with this. Not on this forum.
    Keep in mind that we have members from all over the world, and what may not be an insult in your country, most certainly will in other areas of the globe. If you are in doubt, the best thing to do is to follow the Forum C of C, specifically this paragraph:

The purpose of the Ubuntu Forums is to provide support for Ubuntu. We also want this to be a place where community can develop and we can enjoy one another's company. To achieve this, we strive to maintain an atmosphere that can be enjoyed by all and we ask all members of the community to be respectful at all times. This means please use etiquette and politeness. Treat people with respect. If you do this, the rest of the code of conduct won't need more than a cursory mention.
    As far as I'm concerned you did insult another member, so the original infraction stands, then on top of that you decided to argue against the infraction with one of the Admins in an aggressive manner. Again the second infraction was well deserved, and as far as I'm concerned it won't be reversed either.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Your posts have generally been quite helpful. We all slip occasionally. The post in question was reported by another user - not necessarily the one to whom it was directed. A one point/one week infraction is scarcely more than a warning. A Resolution Center thread would have been the appropriate challenge - I'd have been inclined to agree that the recipient has a questionable posting history. However, the aggressive PM to a staff member demonstrates general disrespect - contrary to the Code of Conduct. So the reward is a two month moderation - essentially meaning more work for the moderation team. You may still post replies to threads - they just need to be approved before they become public.

I'm not sure what you mean by
    That in itself is a clear violation of the CoC.
    but
    clearly not an insult
    is not nearly as clear as you profess.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad] [Sub-forum]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net