Thread: Changing system ready sound

Hybrid View

Beans

Unhappy Changing system ready sound

Help!! System ready sound

So I am Trying to personalize my laptop.... I am using ubuntu 13.04, I tried to change the system ready drums "conga" sound. this is what I did.
    1. convert my own .mp3 file to a .ogg file and name it system-ready.ogg.
    2. I opened /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo as root and replaced the file that was there with mine, but the sound is not playing for system ready.
    I looked into trash to restore the other file but I cannot find it anymore, because I read later that this was just linked to dialog-question.ogg, so I guess the system ready sound commando is just not being told to the computer.
    How do I configure so I can have my computer play the system-ready.ogg file I put in the folder,
    I have play system ready enabled in dcong-editor com.canonical.unity-greeter.

thanks.

Beans

Re: Changing system ready sound

I would also like some help on this issue for 13.04...

I tried an alternative method (which also didn't work):
    • Create a custom sound theme "CustomSounds" in /usr/share/sounds, including a system-ready.ogg file
    • Select the theme for my user by dconf-editor (org/desktop/gnome/sound/theme-name = CustomSounds)
    • Select the theme for the lightdm user by dconf-editor (using the code below to run dconf-editor as lightdm - the same method I have used successfully to set the unity greeter background and some other settings)

I have the customised sounds, but unity greeter still plays the default system ready drums! Perhaps my .ogg violates some constraint somewhere? I can't see why though - it's plenty short and etc... Is the system-ready sound played by some other user perhaps?

Any help appreciated!

Running dconf-editor as lightdm:
    Code:
    me@box:~# sudo -i # Escalate to root
    root@box:~# xhost +SI:localuser:lightdm # Allow lightdm to use the X Server
    root@box:~# su lightdm -s /bin/bash # Masquerade as lightdm user
    lightdm@box:~# dconf-editor
    ...Don't forget to clean up afterwards:
    Code:
    lightdm@box:~# exit
    root@box:~# xhost -SI:localuser:lightdm # Revoke lightdm privileges
    root@box:~# exit # Drop back to my user