Thread: script help...how to change timestamp on all files/folders after a certain date

Beans

script help...how to change timestamp on all files/folders after a certain date

hi,

I need help on a script that will change the timestamp on all files and folders & sub-files and
    sub-folders, that are only after a certain date.

Otherwords, for example, in a folder I may have files and sub-folders with some dates of oct 3, 2009 and some that are
    june 17, 2013. I want to recursely run through this folder and change all of those after ( or equal to & after, don't matter )
    june 17, 2013 to jan 1, 2013.

I think the script may revolve around this, but I don't know how to look for only timestamps of a certain date or latter
    I think I would need to cd into the folder first:

Code:
    find .  -exec  touch  -d  '17 Jun 2013 01:01'  {}
    Thanks

Beans

Re: script help...how to change timestamp on all files/folders after a certain date

Quote Originally Posted by sam_baker2 View Post
    hi,

I need help on a script that will change the timestamp on all files and folders & sub-files and
    sub-folders, that are only after a certain date.

[...]
    You can let 'find' do the date comparisons, then just 'touch' the output. Try it first on a test directory.

Code:
    find . -newermt "June 17 2013" -exec touch -d 'Jan 1 2013 01:01' {} +
    The other way is creating a template file, then using it as reference when comparing timestamps, with -newer, -anewer options. More info here:

http://www.gnu.org/software/findutil...ing-Timestamps

Beans

Re: script help...how to change timestamp on all files/folders after a certain date

Thanks erind,
    that seemed to work. I will try this more some more tonight.