Thread: Upgrade/install does not finish?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Upgrade/install does not finish?

Hi @ all!

I am using Xubuntu 12.04 for over a year now with hardly any problems until a recent upgrade.
    Recently I had problems booting as I came across an error msg like "The drive for /tmp does not exist..."
    and when I came across more error msg (regarding SKYPE) - I decided to make an overall 'upgrade' by
    inserting the Xubuntu CD for a 'new install'. I entered the right laguage, keyboard etc AND named
    the partitions as they exixted (/ root, /home) and the install started with the intro screens until the last
    where it stalled. There is of course no command line, no error msg - and so im lost...

What can I do now?

Thank you,
    Christian

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Upgrade/install does not finish?

Hi Christian,

- Are you trying to re-install Xubuntu 12.04 LTS or a newer version (in that case: which one)?

- Did you remove the old files or format the file systems before trying to install Xubuntu?

- Please specify your computer: Brand name, model or at least cpu, ram (size) and graphics card/chip

I think the 12.04 LTS is a good version, and the errors should be possible to fix. Where is /tmp located? In the root partition or somewhere else? Is that partition full or almost full? Have you deleted the /tmp directory (by mistake)?

It should be possible to remove and re-install Skype to make it work again.