Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8 vs Ubuntu: from my Blog please give your thoughts :D

Beans

Windows 8 vs Ubuntu: from my Blog please give your thoughts :D

I decided to post a topic on the constant conversation going around about the new styles of Desktop/Tablet operating systems. Mostly I hear the same negative comments and to be perfectly honest that really baffles me yet it does not surprise me at all.

Isn't it always the most innovative discoveries get completely degraded and put to shame when before-to-long, something like 5 years down the road, everyone is using these earlier prototypes of creation that have just been fine-tuned and gotten upgraded to be more user friendly? Just think about it. You can literally look back decade-by-decade, and list realistic examples from inventions that everyone in society gave negative opinions about, and now today we all live by this remarkable technology: electricity, telephones, television, computers??? Hello, before the desktop PC the Military laughed when the idea of personal computers was ever brought up into conversation. They literally believed there would be no need for anymore than 3 computers EVER!! Google it.

And this begins my argument for the new Ubuntu, as well as Windows 8, desktop/tablet computers!

How could anyone not see the potential in this subsequential approach?!? No, we're so technically advanced, geek-brained, demigods that when something actually 'NEW' hits the scene, oh no, no, no!! We're not used to this! Blasphemy! Where is my START button, or why do we have this docking station! Yuck... Sigh,... nerds. Nerds, open your ears!!

Open your eyes. Can you not see the potential for the fantasy and science fiction dramas you have been dreaming about your whole life coming to your very own finger tips??? Why don't you see Star Trek, Star Wars, Stasgate Atlantis, Deep Space 9, Close Encounters...etc, all rolled up into a new operating system! And GOD bless Canonical !@#$ Those genius beautiful Linux innovators. Can you imagine what would have happen if Windows 8 had been a huge market success? Where does that leave our loving Linux prospectives? When everyone begins using Windows on there PC/tablets where will we be left still clicking away hopelessly looking afar at Microsoft's balls of steal to actually put their necks out there one day to leave us graveling in the dust?

What I mean by this is even though Windows 8 WAS NOT a huge market success upon the initial launch Canonical gets it. When everyone finally 'catches on', and sees, Wow, actually now that touch screen LED monitors can also interact with touch screen abilities as well as use mouse power, AND when they are made as this thin as glass, AND we can add multiple monitors to our desks while touching and having desktop PC power....? This doesn't remind you of Tony Stark??

Could you imagine if they finally came up with see-through monitors so you could literally reach your hand into a monitor and grab invisible 3D objects and carelessly throw them around? Nobody else sees this except for Microsoft? With all the Linux leaders of the PC nation, really? Well Canonical saw it and luckily they jumped right on. One of the BEST well received Linux distros decided, Well, its either us or living in the past... Even though they have not been received well, even bumped down to 2nd place on the DistorWatch. Lol, like thats going to matter in the next 5 years. Even if Ubuntu gets bumped down to LAST place, just mark my words, and watch. Watch how all of a sudden they come up with the most amazing monitor set ups and EVERYONE wants one... The only operating system that works on it is Windows 8.1? Excuse my French, but F dat* Thank you Ubuntu for stepping up to the plate, on all of our toes, and into the future. If it weren't for you I would actually be a little concerned with the technological field. Just look at Intel.

They began to implement UEFI specifications in their motherboards and Linux users haaaate UEFI... Um, have you ever taken a look at the UEFI documentation? Its GENIUS. There are so many major new benefits to using UEFI to replace the Legacy BIOS that why wouldn't ANYONE not agree to upgrade their motherboard chips? Well, luckily Canonical joined in on that specification as well. Ahh, phew seriously, you Linux penguin people have me worried with your, This is not what were used to and/or like!! How did Linux even come about? Not by having a closed mind. Research, experiment, branch out from old ways. I know how Linux can set you in on this mind frame. The kernel can run on 512MB of RAM, 2-5GB HDD, my video card from 1992 and a potato power supply, and we dont like modifying that unless we have them gooder pataters, BUUUT, come on Linux buddies. Theres more to life than a good southern smashed taters. Ok, Ok, now this is just getting ridiculous.

Anyways, Im just trying light-heartedly make the point that being a part of all the new advancements of computers, and having the convenience, speed, power, etc of inventions is all about allowing the newest ideas that you can manage to give a minute of potential credit to attempt a place of modern advancements. Get with the program. Technology isnt going to stop, slow down, or stay in one place. Having a 3D touch screen computer that I can also use as a power system, while also having a kick ass Linux OS sounds like a dream come true for me, and I'm not even that up-to-date with full control of using Linux. I barely can handle basic CLI control. But I take it slow to learn it correctly and I have come a long way mostly on my own. A self taught enthusiast as most of us begin. Nothing wrong with pointing out the obvious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCzQN...6F2A5&index=29

-MsTroubleShooting
    Last edited by Cocolate; September 8th, 2013 at 09:16 AM.

Beans

Re: Windows 8 vs Ubuntu: from my Blog please give your thoughts :D

I think this is a couple of months to late unity and windows 8 hate have generally cooled down now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've never had any real issues with Unity. I'm not a fan of the default color scheme, and I would have implemented the Lenses a bit differently. But, it's a much more cohesive and useful design than Windows 8.

The ungainly bolting of the Metro/Modern interface on the traditional Windows interface in Windows 8 strikes me as something that would happen when the developers weren't able to achieve the desired degree of integration in time for MS to meet its launch commitments. So, rather than delay release, someone said, in effect, just make the two things work together and get it out there.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mJayk View Post
    I think this is a couple of months to late unity and windows 8 hate have generally cooled down now.
    I would probably be discouraged by your comment, but having recently found out they just put Windows 8 on all the Lab computers in the Library all my tech-nerd friends are gripping about how it is such a bad idea. Also at first I thought the new 11.04 was so terrible I never liked Ubuntu for it. Then I sort of got stuck with Ubuntu using a UEFI specification and did my research. After playing with Windows 8 the potential was obvious to me. I thought, "how could all my friends hate playing with this?" I was having a blast and it was ALL easy for me. A couple students even turned to ask me how to log out or get to their desktops and it was my first time using it. I have alot of experience with Android and it was just 2nd nature to me. Get ready fuddy duddys a new gen is coming

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That people cannot find the desktop or how to logout is the essence of the brokeness of Win8.

It isn't the low-powered Metro apps, or the insistence on touch on non-touch platforms. It's the total dissimilarity between the two interfaces in Win8.

If MS had confidence in Metro, they should have scrapped the desktop. Instead, they delivered a schizoid confusing mess.

Beans

"I was having a blast and it was ALL easy for me." and "Get ready fuddy duddys a new gen is coming"
    Sounds to me you are very young and lack a world view experience and perspective that encompasses all users.
    As many have more needs than having a blast. And seem to be wanting to stuff everyone into your world view.

Sounds like the young crowd type mentality of tweet this,touch that embrace the swipe crowd.

Kids Can't Use Computers... And This Is Why It Should Worry You

I'm all for embracing new technologies and new OS'es,Gui's,etc.. but they have to allow me to get the things I do done in a more efficient process for my workflow. Not what they think my workflow should be. Trying to force all to work in one paradigm is inherently restrictive and counter intuitive to creative ways to get things done for many.

If that means Unity and it's direction fits like a glove for their individual needs. Then I am happy that it works for them.
    But to expect Unity or Win8 to fit all users needs is a simplistic and flawed premise.

And making fun of the geeks and other's and the meanwhile not willing to see their take as just as valid as yours.
    As it wasn't the geeks that thumbed up their noses at Win8 but the consumer as well.

Just because it's New! & Shiny! doesn't makes it a Winner! Or even the Best way for All.

Beans

Also@Buzzingrobot
    Quote Originally Posted by orb9220 View Post
    Sounds to me you are very young and lack a world view experience and perspective that encompasses all users.
    As many have more needs than having a blast. And seem to be wanting to stuff everyone into your world view.

Sounds like the young crowd type mentality of tweet this,touch that embrace the swipe crowd.

Kids Can't Use Computers... And This Is Why It Should Worry You

I'm all for embracing new technologies and new OS'es,Gui's,etc.. but they have to allow me to get the things I do done in a more efficient process for my workflow. Not what they think my workflow should be. Trying to force all to work in one paradigm is inherently restrictive and counter intuitive to creative ways to get things done for many.

If that means Unity and it's direction fits like a glove for their individual needs. Then I am happy that it works for them.
    But to expect Unity or Win8 to fit all users needs is a simplistic and flawed premise.

And making fun of the geeks and other's and the meanwhile not willing to see their take as just as valid as yours.
    As it wasn't the geeks that thumbed up their noses at Win8 but the consumer as well.

Just because it's New! & Shiny! doesn't makes it a Winner! Or even the Best way for All.
    Im surprised that the actual Ubuntu site is having this reaction. Mainly because Im supporting something Ubuntu is currently working on. I guess not everyone agrees but have their personal reasons of why they like Ubuntu.

Im just going to paste a response that took me about an hour to write on another forum and if you cant tell that Im not a "kid" by the way I write then I guess to each their own.

Challenge Accepted

Quote Originally Posted by 273
    I was going to type a long reply but I'll just ask some questions instead:
    I'm going to start off with a short introduction as my rebuttal in our debate. I already made my valid point in my previous response above, but I will go through your questions and give you my best opinions on the matter to respond to your initial reaction. Of course I did not create either of these OS's and I also did not invent UEFI although I wish I did because Intel is worth Billions of dollars and I would have been very happy to be apart of that

How does getting rid of a button and replacing it with an area of nothing make a desktop easier to use?
    Well I honestly dont have much of an argument for this one, but I also do not really see the big deal. When I first got on Win8 I thought the same exact thing, "pshhh, whaaa, wheres the stupid start button!!?" Then I clicked around a little bit, figured it out, and was like, Oh ok good, so before Windows 7 sucked and now theyre trying to make it better...Like Android. I like.

Quote Originally Posted by 273;
    How does replacing a menu which takes up as much of the screen as it needs, whilst allowing you to see other applications in the background, with a menu that covers the whole screen make a desktop easier to use?
    I cant really defend this because I honestly am not sure what you are talking about. This sounds to me like several different features? We can just skip past this if its not that important I mean its got some work to definitely go through I never said it was perfect.

Who is going to clean my monitor every day for if I'm touching it all day long?
    How does taking my hands off the desk to touch my monitor instead of leaving them on the desk to use a mouse and keyboard help enter data?
    Well the way I invision this is once these major multi-billion dollar companies get done perfecting their hardware interfaces to run this new software technology they will run suitable devices to manage them on. So maybe your current LED/LCD monitor would be ridiculous to finger dabble and reachiing over the keyboard IS bananas.

Imagine something with me please for the sake of science. We have a nice recliner chair with an ergonomic keyboard on each side of your recliner chair split to relax each arm on each arm-rest still able to type, maybe while wearing your Google Glasses. On each side of you you have a a large 27" glass see-through monitor and in front of you you have a huge 50 inch display too far to reach.

With these glass monitors next to you they allow you to handle simple tasks all with a simple touch of your finger. (Even some technology for tablets is being invented to not even have to TOUCH the tablet, just come close enough to the display.) When its time to "work" you can easy flip said business to the front monitor across the desk in front of you and began typing. Even just telling your [Google Glasses] what to do. Even automatically. If you watch the video I added to the end of my first post the technology advancements today are honestly scary. Even though this kind of set up you couldnt imagine not costing a fortune. Even if so do you think rich PC enthusiasts will actually not invent NEW gadgets because YOU cant afford them. Ha. No. But we always catch up. So maybe in 5 years this type of technology wont cost more than your current devices do now. Maybe 10 years (I mean technically it isnt even invented yet). Then imagine how cheap current hardware will cost and how good it can already function now?

How does a touch screen help me watch movies and network virtual machines?
    How does Microsoft insisting that its keys be included in Secure Boot help me as a Linux user?
    How does a mouse and keyboard help you watch movies? Thats basically irrelevent other than doing the same thing you can do on a tablet to watch a movie. Networking? Thats the point to integrate using power devices on a touch enviornment.

You obviously have not read any part of the UEFI specification documentation. That could help you understand alot of the questions youre asking about UEFI. I am not here to spoon feed anyone the answers of what MS/Canonical/Intel are inventing. Im just stating things I notice and trying to help open up the mind set that these billion dollar companies are trying to do something amazing. Not the other way around.

How does making the Linux Foundation/Red Hat/Canonical (or however it will work out) pay for keys to sign bootloaders in order to dual boot with Windows 8 help Linux users?
    How am I managing to run whichever Linux flavour I like without EUFI? Will EUFI make my OS run faster? Will EUFI mean I can work faster and make less errors at work? Will EUFI help me watch movies? Will EUFI magically make my Virtual machines run faster?
    Again I cant be exactly sure what the Key registration is about. Could be a money scheme, could be security, could be proprietary stuff, which I know is against the FSF regulations. What I do know is, yes UEFI infact DOES make your OS run faster, well on bootload anyway. From what I understand UEFI is a virtual machine that replaces BIOS and there is zero file searching or process of preparing the OS to boot. UEFI simply is a small operating system, if you will, thats only function is to find your OS and boot your desktop. Which is why the Win8 commercials advertise boot time in only 6.5 seconds. I have it and it works with 12.04 as well. I hit the on button and 5 seconds later Im typing my password. I turn it off because of my current set up calls for it to be. But thats another topic.

Other than that I can give you 2 links to help answer some of your questions on UEFI:
    http://h30565.www3.hp.com/t5/Feature...-Your/ba-p/198
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAnlhkbMang

Quote Originally Posted by 273;[url
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/ubuntu-63/windows-8-vs-ubuntu-from-my-blog-please-give-your-thoughts-d-4175476342/#post5024094]In[/url] short: Why, other than "because it looks cool" would I want any of these things?
    I love new technology and I'll buy and use it when it helps me work easier or makes my leisure time more fun or productive.
    I don't see anything in Windows 8, Unity, EUFI or Secure Boot that would make life easier for me. I think touch screens, when I can get a 1920*1200 for the same price as one without touch screen, aren't a bad thing apart from finger prints but I'd certainly not replace my touchpad with one or my 3D controller.
    Im sure people said the same thing about smart phones and tablets when they first were trying to hit the market. Maybe even computers. "What is this crap? You can file paper work like this? How can I write!"
    Last edited by Cocolate; September 8th, 2013 at 06:41 PM.

Beans

Here you go. A perfect example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfztz45hInc

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Beans

Hi cocolate! Interesting post thanks! Mostly I agree with the spirit behind your argument that good changes should certainly be embraced. Both those people who still hold on to ancient interfaces and completely reject new possibilities and those who keep changing things constantly, even things that work well, just for the sake of changing and because they are bored, represent two extremes between which lies an undefinable 'sweet spot' between raw presentation of data and more and more embellishments, that exactly fits the mentality and comfortability of each user, and unfortunately such a sweet spot is unique to each user and hence no one system can completely satisfy all its users. Essentially users adapt to the system, and provided it doesn't lie close to either extreme, it is rapidly picked up and people start being productive with it.

Computers by their very nature offer "endless" possibilities. They are essentially a field where we can play with our imaginations. And because computing power is becoming tremendously powerful these days and because our imaginations are even more endless, we can easily get caught up in this "virtual world", playing with this and that, exploring endless combinations and patterns and interactions. But at the end of the day, computers make sense only when they serve towards a purpose in the 'real world', and to this end, an interface that gets real world jobs done with ease will be ideal. For some people, it is the command line. For most people it would be some form of clickable/touchable/audible graphical interface. A few people who like to play with possibilities could explore virtual 3D worlds, wearable computing, artificial intelligence, brain-chip interfaces, and so on. Why stop with 3D? Why not systems which engage all five of our senses in addition to our thoughts directly? You'd essentially start to live inside your computer, and would it be any different to living in the outside world? For what purpose?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast