Thread: Streaming and Samba help

Beans

Exclamation Streaming and Samba help

Ok so i have samba for file share in my house but it only works on my MacBook Pro and not my parents MacBooks. How do if fix that, btw i uninstalled samba. Also I would like to stream video to my Xbox and to stream over the internet for our computers (same with music). Is any of this possible?

Server specs:
    AMD Athlon x64 2.2GHz
    4GB RAM
    1TB HDD
    56MBPS internet

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Streaming and Samba help

Yes, it is possible, however, I don't know anything about xbox limitations. Doesn't it only support very specific video formats? To playback almost anything, a transcoder is needed. Something like ps3mediaserver, I should think.

You'll need to provide more details about the network and software setup if you'd like any help. For the Mac-side, I'd suggest that you ask on Mac-specific forums. My last use of a Mac was about 18 months ago. At the time, there was a bug in their smb/cifs protocol, so it was impossible to connect to samba shares. After two weeks on "linux-lite" and driving myself crazy with all the differences, I gave the Mac away.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Streaming and Samba help

Adding support for the deprecated AppleTalk protocol may help with your parents' machines.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users