Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Video card or software problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Video card or software problem?

No, I cannot get to a terminal w/ ctrl+alt+f2 when it is running and blank screen.

nvidia-settings says "ERR :The control display is undefined"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I will try getting a new x11 conf... and yes, the monitor shows a green signal all the time, so it doesn't look like it's the video card otherwise the monitor would probably complain about no signal and turn off

Beans

then when I press the power button to power it down, I get the text again as it shuts down.
    Sorry. Just re-read that. lol. Check that stuff above and see if it works. I think rebuilding your xorg.conf as described above may help or reinstalling your nvidia drivers may help. You would need to remove the nvidia drivers first with:

sudo apt-get purge nvidia-*
    restart

Then, reinstall the driver as stated in my instructions in the above post to get the most recent driver installed correctly. I have always had bad luck with Jockey (Additional Hardware tool in Ubuntu).

Beans

I will try getting a new x11 conf... and yes, the monitor shows a green signal all the time, so it doesn't look like it's the video card otherwise the monitor would probably complain about no signal and turn off
    Do you have multiple monitors hooked up? or just one? You could also boot into recovery mode in GRUB. If you look in the GRUB boot menu right after the BIOS screen, you will have options. Use your arrow keys to go down to Advanced or Recovery Mode or something. Its usually right below the first choice. It will give you the option to run every kernel that is installed. Chose recovery mode for the first one. It will take you to a small CLI window, and you can choose Root Login (something like that).

From there, it will drop you to a command prompt as root, and you can run:

rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Then try running

nvidia-xconfig
    NOTE: BE VERY CAREFUL DOING ANYTHING AS ROOT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12