Thread: Power Mac G4: everything freezes after clean installation

Beans

Power Mac G4: everything freezes after clean installation

Hi.

I did a clean installation of Lubuntu 12.04 (after some months using 13.04, which was quite buggy) and something went wrong. The installation process was ok, but afterwords, when I start up the computer, nothing appears on the screen.

I tried to start everything again by inserting an installation CD and booting from the CD. And here the big problem begins: first, the CD tray doesn't open by itself. I had to force its opening with a paper clip. Then, I inserted the installation CD and I rebooted, and again nothing happens. I press C to see if it boots from the CD, and nothing.

I also restarted the motherboard/PMU, by pressing the apropriate button, and nothing has changed.

Before, if I had a problem I could always trust the installation CD and fix everything from there.
    Now, I can't.

I wonder if something has happened to the motherboard.

Any help?

Thanks
    Desktop: Ubuntustudio 20.04 running on AMD Ryzen 5 3600X, with Nvidia Geforce 1050Ti graphics; Laptop: Ubuntustudio 20.04 running on a Intel i5 6200U @2.30 GHz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Power Mac G4: everything freezes after clean installation

Early powermacs had a 650MB CD limitation. So if your distro is 700MB and you burned it on a 700MB disk, your CD player may not read it completely so your installation may be incomplete.

Also, the onboard batteries die, and the PMU needs the battery to function properly. It is soldered on the board and not easily replaceable, as most Mac products are designed to be thrown away when new and shiny comes out.

So, replace the battery first and try again. Let us know how difficult it is.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Re: Power Mac G4: everything freezes after clean installation

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    Early powermacs had a 650MB CD limitation. So if your distro is 700MB and you burned it on a 700MB disk, your CD player may not read it completely so your installation may be incomplete.

Also, the onboard batteries die, and the PMU needs the battery to function properly. It is soldered on the board and not easily replaceable, as most Mac products are designed to be thrown away when new and shiny comes out.

So, replace the battery first and try again. Let us know how difficult it is.
    No, the drive is quite recent, and it's a CD/DVD RW drive. I have successfully read many CD's and DVD's in it.

But maybe it's a battery problem. I'll try this solution (first I have to find one for replacement).
    Desktop: Ubuntustudio 20.04 running on AMD Ryzen 5 3600X, with Nvidia Geforce 1050Ti graphics; Laptop: Ubuntustudio 20.04 running on a Intel i5 6200U @2.30 GHz