Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Guide to using Openbox session in Lubuntu

Beans

Re: Guide to using Openbox session?

Hi,

If you are not running lxsession you need to run openbox-session. I don't know much yet about how Lubuntu is setup. (ie: when selecting "openbox" in Lightdm, does it start openbox-session?) In Openbox distributions I use: Archlinux, Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS when I used it a while ago, are setup with Openbox only and a few additional components which make it act as a real desktop. The main component for this purpose is openbox-menu (I put up a ppa for it, and a set of configurations I also provide for Ubuntu).

I will soon announce on the forums an Ubuntu Remix having for name "Bento", which will be provided as RC, because it still needs testing. However many versions have been uploaded since a little more than one year, and only once a while a feedback was provided about some things to be improved.
    You can read about one of them done a few months ago here, just to have an idea:
    Bento2 - OBUbuntu Remix presentation

The boot of the live is much nicer now and the background is changed. The user applications are a bit different also. I have not yet tried to install lubuntu-destkop to a Bento install to see how it would go, but that could be an interesting experience.

Let me know if you are interested?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Melodie View Post
    If you are not running lxsession you need to run openbox-session. I don't know much yet about how Lubuntu is setup. (ie: when selecting "openbox" in Lightdm, does it start openbox-session?) ...
    Thank you for responding
    I will check whether openbox-session runs by default or not and get back to you.
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans
    Distro

I ran the following command in both Lubuntu and Openbox sessions and grepped for "session":
    Code:
    [12:23 PM] ~/Desktop $ grep session ob-session-processes.txt 
    root      3313   957  0 10:12 ?        00:00:00 lightdm --session-child 12 25
    vasa1     3400  3360  0 10:12 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/ssh-agent /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/im-launch /usr/bin/openbox-sessio
    vasa1     3403     1  0 10:12 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/im-launch /usr/bin/openbox-session
    vasa1     3404     1  0 10:12 ?        00:00:00 //bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 5 --print-address 7 --session
    vasa1     3435     1  0 10:12 ?        00:00:00 /usr/lib/at-spi2-core/at-spi2-registryd --use-gnome-session
    [12:23 PM] ~/Desktop $ grep session lx-session-processes.txt 
    root      1118   957  0 07:05 ?        00:00:00 lightdm --session-child 12 19
    vasa1     1220  1169  0 07:06 ?        00:00:00 dbus-daemon --fork --session --address=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-FIyUcTDjPh
    vasa1     1252  1169  0 07:06 ?        00:00:00 upstart-dbus-bridge --daemon --session --user --bus-name session
    vasa1     1253  1169  0 07:06 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/lxsession -s Lubuntu -e LXDE
    vasa1     1320  1169  0 07:06 ?        00:00:00 /usr/lib/at-spi2-core/at-spi2-registryd --use-gnome-session
    [12:24 PM] ~/Desktop $
    I don't quite know what the output means, but I did not explicitly run openbox-session. I just chose Openbox at the time of login.
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans
    Distro

This maybe of interest to some users of Openbox:
    debian testing oddity

Beans
    Distro

http://urukrama.wordpress.com/2012/0...n-openbox-3-5/ explains why more than one .desktop file for the same application maybe seen when in an Openbox session. I got that from here: “OnlyShowIn” and “NotShowIn” not being obeyed in Openbox session?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post
    This morning, I stumbled upon this article (from PCLinuxOS Magazine), titled "Openbox - Tint2 vs Lxpanel", which it might be appropriate to mention here: http://pclosmag.com/html/Issues/201108/page01.html

tint2 is a nice option to use for a panel in Openbox; worth checking out, for sure.
    Checking it out and I may end up preferring it. The link is really informative too. One thing it doesn't mention is how to reload tint2's config file (~/.config/tint2/tint2rc) after modifying it: run killall -SIGUSR1 tint2.

Beans
    Distro

Here's a useful thread by stinkeye on the right-click menu (and you can safely ignore my posts in that thread).
    Then there's this to make the right-click menu appear without needing to right-click on the desktop: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...9#post12903409

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Another issue that appeared because I'm not running lxsession*** any more is that stuff copied is lost when the parent app is closed. So I need to have xclipboard running to keep track of copied stuff. (xclipboard is less feature-full but lighter than Parcellite and is installed by default in Lubuntu.)

*** this post by Julien Lavergne mentions that lxsession makes a clipboard manager unnecessary: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lu...ry/000393.html
    I installed clipit and ran it with the -d option; that seems to do the job as far as remembering copied stuff after the parent app is closed in a pure Openbox session.

Edit on 20140208: I found clipit -d to be a little unpredictable in my hands . I'll just have to remember to keep the parent application open.
    Last edited by vasa1; February 8th, 2014 at 01:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro

See stinkeye's post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...6#post12918246) for how to use "Software and Sources": gksudo software-properties-gtk worked for me.

Beans
    Distro

I've come to the conclusion that ~/.themes/theme_name/gtk-3.0/settings.ini doesn't function in an Openbox session. I don't know if I'm right but to change things, I need to edit ~/.themes/theme_name/gtk-3.0/gtk.css or ~/.themes/theme_name/gtk-3.0/gtk-widgets.css directly.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast