Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: "Intel Will Not Support Ubuntu's XMir" What will be the consequences?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: "Intel Will Not Support Ubuntu's XMir" What will be the consequences?

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    The success of Apple is the best example that people care what's in the garden, not if it's closed or open.

If Jobs' developers brought him an idea or a prototype he didn't like, he would direct them to stop working on it. And, they would. In LinuxLand, they'd fork their ideas and publicly accuse Jobs of being hostile to the welfare of "the community" (dev speak for disgreeing with them).
    That is by far the best analogy of it. It's also pretty much how open source works.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ZoiaGuyver View Post
    That is by far the best analogy of it. It's also pretty much how open source works.
    That's true, but it applies to Canonical too. Like how Wayland didn't work for them, so they decided to create their own display server and made false public claims about Wayland.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I'm planning on going with the AMD-FX series, especially now that they have a cpu that runs at 5Ghz (FX-9590).
    Meh. $700! I'd rather get an X79 system.

Guys, give Canonical a break, and let them do what they want, it's not like we're going to change their minds anytime soon.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans

The success of Apple is the best example that people care what's in the garden, not if it's closed or open.
    I understand the point being made, but Ubuntu is not a walled garden, everything is open source. If Mir ends up being a "Ubuntu only" solution it is because other distros prefer Wayland,--rightly or wrongly,-- it is not because Canonical doesn't allow it (I think it woud want the opposite) Also one is not restricted on Ubuntu in any way like on a Mac, Ubuntu offers as much freedom as other Linux distros. Steve Jobs went beyond being a "visionary", he took other people's ideas and closed them and then sued everyone for patent violation, I don't see that happening with Shuttleworth. Let's not fuel the misinformation and FUD even unintentionally.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; September 13th, 2013 at 04:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ZoiaGuyver View Post
    JkbrrLJ That was a very interesting read and I agree with much of what you say.

Steve Jobs for good or bad made a very successful company, some would argue a "technology leading" company. Even though Apple is seen as the epitome of the "Walled/Shuttered/Closed garden" No one can really refute their success.

Steve Jobs was also a visionary and unlike much of the Linux community on a whole was a very outspoken and critical person, even to the detriment of how people saw him. I think Mr Shuttleworth has a tendency to be head strong and outspoken, but he also gives a lot in the sense of supporting projects and ideas. The whole issue with Wayland and Mir is one that is based on semantics, corporate politics, differing opinion, misunderstanding, misinterpretation and FUD. These are not of any value to anyone, but with technology is often part of the driving factors.

Like you say a lot of the times change is met with full brute force denial to it. The mindset for most people is that complete change is bad, incremental change is somewhat accepted. The whole Wayland/Mir story in a year or maybe less/more will be just another pin in the very spotty map of linux. Much like the arguments before them they will subside into obscurity.

As a whole people should embrace the projects as open source attempts to advance the current status quo. There will always be people who want to pick a fight just on the basis of their own view, the same as there will always be lemmings to follow those people.

Mistakes were made (hopefully they will be learnt from) now is the time to move on to bigger and better things.

On that note some may be interested to have a read through articles like this, they are not really pertinent to the topic now but they do make interesting reading. intel_fud_versus_amd_fact
    Not that I am an Apple fan, or even have any Apple devices myself, ipod was a fundamental change of concept, not just a player but including the entire iTunes eco-system that came with it. Just like the iphone, for a company that had never ever even made a phone was a bloody huge risk to take. Again it was not just a phone, but the entire apps eco-system that came with it. Those have been immense departures for Apple/Jobs. Look what it has done to the Nokias in the phone business. Not to mention what it has done to Microsoft.

The EDGE concept to me is just as interesting. If Ubuntu does succeed and manages to actually get it done, it'll be a major next step in the IT revolution. We'll look back on these discussions with a smile, and some with a certain degree of embarrassment I bet.

Even if the EDGE concept - and even if Canonical as a company as a consequence - would fail miserably, the Linux eco system will survive. Whether with Wayland or MIR or whatever else somebody else might come up with is something none of us can tell for sure. Linux was there long before Canonical and Ubuntu and it will survive without it, should that ever happen. The push forward in technology, or as they like to call it "device agnostic technology" to me is as important and liberating as the philisophy behind FOSS in all its variations. As the old saying goes: "you can't make an omelet without breaking eggs". The current environment as such is so rusted in old approaches and traditional procedures, that moving forward will always have to be at the expense of some of it having to give way to allow for new and different approaches.

I don't see any reason for an "either or" in this transition, it doesn't have to be either Wayland or MIR. Regardless of what corporations like Intel, NVIDIA and other hardware companies want.
    In the end it will all be about what WE want!
    If Jobs would have announced itunes or asked for "permission", do you think any of the record companies would have wanted to know about it at the time?
    He didn't leave them any choice, and now, finally, they are willing to admit that he probably saved their ass to a large extent.

Sometimes "visionaries" have no other option but to just to do it. And if it works out, all the rest will fall in place.
    Intel and the others will only be too happy to jump on the bandwagon.
    TIZEN isn't exactly going all that smooth either. Even with the backing of a giant like Samsung.
    Let's not forget that even companies like intel - add the rest of the pack - have had numerous blunders and flops in their corporate history as well.
    Was it Intel that came up with the idea of Android? Was it Samsung? Any of the other major vendors?

If the EDGE concept will make it or rather ends up being made, it will be a revolution. And to those that have always wanted to see more adaption of linux, it might actually be a dream come true.

And let's not forget where Linux itself comes from. Anybody remember how outraged some of the old UNIX folks were at the time?
    Canonical/Ubuntu can not accept that they're being held hostage by the likes of Red Hat, Intel.. you name them, the list is long.. and they should not accept it if they really want to make some landmark improvements and new products. That is inevitable. And that does not justify some of the questionable things they have done or said recently. The big mistake is that they're trying to justfiy their decisions. They don't have to. They should just do it, get on with it, show us that it can be done... and introduce the product.. and then it's our time to vote. With our wallets.

I have the feeling too many people are overestimating the power of intel, no matter how huge they may be. They don't make the final calls. Not even on XMIR.
    Last edited by Mephisto Pheles; September 13th, 2013 at 08:26 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Here's a good read

One day we'll look back and say this was the end of the software platform
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09..._software_era/
    Stick 'em up Punk it's the fun lovin' criminal! (FLC)

The higher you soar, the smaller you seem to those who cannot fly. (Nietzsche)

Beans

Unity is great now. I was one of the hater before but they have done a lot of work on it.

Beans

My goodness. All this sound and fury, signifying nothing. Okay, I so stole that but still ...

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112