Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Many questions with System76

Beans

Many questions with System76

I apologize if these have been answered before. I am relatively knew with Ubuntu and System76 and have some specific questions that I'd like answered. Thanks!

1. Are these laptops up/downgradeable?
    2. Could I take one with 13.04 preinstalled and wipe it to install 12.1 or whatever?
    3. General inquiry: why is the 14.1" laptop model so expensive? I really want a Ubuntu laptop but 1k is a lot to drop on one. I already have my powerhouse laptop (desktop replacement) and was wanting a mid range spec one. Is the price tag anywhere near worth it?

Beans

Re: Many questions with System76

Quote Originally Posted by DRatJr View Post
    1. Are these laptops up/downgradeable?
    Depends on the model and which kinds of upgrades you're talking about. Look at the options listed on the System76 website to get an idea of what's possible for each model.

2. Could I take one with 13.04 preinstalled and wipe it to install 12.1 or whatever?
    You can do whatever you want with wiping and changing versions (even changing OSes), but System76 only officially supports the current Ubuntu release. This also means they do not support the LTS release. So you can install an older version of Ubuntu if you want, but System76 won't bother making it work with your device. The new machines -- the Galago and the new Gazelle, for instance -- have Haswell, which isn't supported in anything before 13.04, so an earlier version of Ubuntu is unlikely to work for you.

3. General inquiry: why is the 14.1" laptop model so expensive? I really want a Ubuntu laptop but 1k is a lot to drop on one. I already have my powerhouse laptop (desktop replacement) and was wanting a mid range spec one. Is the price tag anywhere near worth it?
    Clevo machines are always expensive for what they are, and System76 machines are always expensive for what they are. With the Galago, the new processor itself is quite expensive (I believe it's around $440). The IPS display adds some to the cost, although not nearly as much as manufacturers would lead you to believe. The rest of the components are pretty lousy -- lousy speakers, cheap chassis, worst webcam you'll ever use, unusable keyboard, low specs besides the processor...but keep in mind that, again, these machines are always too expensive for what they are. Clevo makes a nice profit off these, and System76 has to make a profit after buying them from Clevo.

The Galago gets only ~2 hours of battery life, runs extremely hot, and has various issues with wireless and suspend.

If you're looking for something mid-range, there are tons of other options out there with better build and lower price, and a bunch more were just announced at IFA. For the price, pick up one of the new ASUS or Lenovo machines. ASUS, for instance, is often said to have the best non-Apple clickpads and drivers, and offers 1080p IPS displays (and higher!) on their new machines, shipping with a good quality body and Iris graphics.

There's no such thing as an "Ubuntu laptop", and I've found that even my generic Dell runs Ubuntu better than my "Ubuntu laptop" from System76.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yeah, I agree with the sentiments above.

There isn't much point having the latest and greatest in display and processor speed if the inputs (keyboard, trackpad) are so cheap and nasty as to be almost unusable. For that reason, I wouldn't recommend the Galago to anyone.
    Last edited by powerpleb; September 8th, 2013 at 11:06 AM.

Beans

Wow. Thanks for all the answers! Could you recommend a lenovo/Asus laptop that meets the mid ranged requirement as well as DECENT specs like battery life and resolution etc.

I want one because I have the Samsung Series 7 Chronos (NP780Z5E-S01UB) with windows 8 pre installed and UEFI. I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to dual boot ubuntu, but with UEFI its just TOO DAMN HARD :\. I have tried over 3 times now and every time I end up uninstalling because it is SUCH a a hassle. I REALLY just want a laptop that I can load up ubuntu on, and it work like a charm.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by DRatJr View Post
    Wow. Thanks for all the answers! Could you recommend a lenovo/Asus laptop that meets the mid ranged requirement as well as DECENT specs like battery life and resolution etc.

I want one because I have the Samsung Series 7 Chronos (NP780Z5E-S01UB) with windows 8 pre installed and UEFI. I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to dual boot ubuntu, but with UEFI its just TOO DAMN HARD :\. I have tried over 3 times now and every time I end up uninstalling because it is SUCH a a hassle. I REALLY just want a laptop that I can load up ubuntu on, and it work like a charm.
    Unfortunatey, all computers that run windows 8 today likely have UEFI enabled, unless you buy one that specifically does not have UEFI, or build your own.

See if windows boots with secure boot mode off. If it does... see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Ubuntu Forums Moderation Staff
    Okay then. We're relying on mirror dust and fairies but now we have a plan which is progress - Emma

Beans

See I have read MANY things and TRIED many things but I always have problems. Most recently:

Installed Ubuntu in UEFI mode with secure boot off. Both OS's booted. Ran updates on Ubuntu and it wouldn't boot. Tried nomodeset and it worked, but wanted my login information. I KNOW FOR A FACT I knew my username and PW, but it wouldn't accept it. I finally just took it off.

I just want to run ubuntu flawlessly. But it seems with UEFI it won't happen. I suppose my best bet would be to either WAIT until the UEFI business is worked around by the ubuntu team, or buy another laptop in my price and spec range with Windows 7 and NON UEFI. Right?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rorschachwalter View Post
    There's no such thing as an "Ubuntu laptop", and I've found that even my generic Dell runs Ubuntu better than my "Ubuntu laptop" from System76.
    If I'm not mistaken, you no longer have a System76 laptop, as you returned it for a refund.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, you no longer have a System76 laptop, as you returned it for a refund.
    Relevance? I certainly didn't mean to mislead anyone -- I did return my System76 laptop, and my observation still stands.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by rorschachwalter View Post
    Relevance? I certainly didn't mean to mislead anyone -- I did return my System76 laptop, and my observation still stands.
    Actually, it is good to know. You have been plastering these forums with your "issues", some of which seem petty. In addition, you seem to want to make it your job make sure everyone know about every little thing that did not meet your exacting standards. I have a Wild Dog and not only has it been a wonderful machine, but System76 has been great whenever I have needed assistance. The fact that you returned the laptop and received a refund tells me that you cannot know if any of the issues you complained about have been addressed by recent Ubuntu upgrades. Why do you bother reading the System76 sub-forum if you no longer own a System76 machine?

Beans

You have a Wild Dog? HOW COULD YOU POSSIBLY SPEAK ABOUT CURRENT SYSTEM76 LAPTOPS!?!? And why is your decision to promote System76 somehow more acceptable than my decision to inform people of a more objective experience and the problems they'll run into? If people listened to me, they wouldn't be returning their Galagos right now.

I had a recent machine, and people are still complaining about what I complained about. I follow blogs and other reviews of System76 machines.

You're a little upset, and that's OK. But let's not confuse bitterness with logic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast