Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: installing Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64-bit

Beans

installing Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64-bit

Hi,

I'm relatively new to Ubuntu and I recently got my first UEFI based laptop and I wanted to install Ubuntu on it alongside Windows 8. I created a live USB using Unetbootin and when I boot into the USB drive, a GRUB menu comes up. When I press Try Ubuntu or install Ubuntu, my screen either goes black or turns off entirely. I tried using the nomodeset option but that doesn't work. One time a sort of terminal window appeared but I had no idea what to do. I tried disabling secure boot but doesn't seem to help. I also tried using a different USB drive and also tried creating a live USB using Universal USB installer. I also tried Ubuntu 13.04. That doesn't work either.

I'm sorry if similar questions have been asked in the forum but I haven't been able to solve my problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Help installing Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64-bit

I personally have to enable the nomodeset parameter to get my PC to boot off my Ubuntu live media. You said you tried that and it hasn't helped. I'm not sure exactly what the problem is.

To further narrow down other possibilities, have you tried using your Ubuntu live USB stick on other working PCs? This would eliminate the possibility that there is something wrong with your USB stick.
    My rig:
    IBM Personal System/2 Model 30-286 - - Intel 80286 (16 bit) 10 Mhz - - 1MB DRAM - - Integrated VGA Display adapter
    1.44MB capacity Floppy Disk - - PS/2 keyboard (no mouse)

Beans

The USB works on my older BIOS based laptop

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Are you using 64 bit version?

What system is this as some required other boot parameters and a few users have posted some that work with other systems.

See also link in my signature.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I am using 64 bit. My machine is a Toshiba Satellite P840t.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've installed several versions on my Satellite P755 (including 12.04) without having to use any special boot options. Are you sure there's not a problem with the image used to create the USB stick?
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

A Toshiba P50 user had this comment.
    Turned NIC (Integrated Network Interface Controller) off and then booted off of USB. Was NOT an issue with any Linux distro just a quirk of the laptop.
    Is system using the Intel video?

Instead of nomodeset some have used these settings.
    i915.i915_enable_rc6=1

acpi_osi=Linux
    video=1280x1024-24@75 or whatever native resolution is

acpi_osi=Linux
    acpi_backlight=vendor

And some systems are working but back light is off or down too low. Just use function key to make it brighter.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Just to be sure, to use those options mentioned, i have to press e on the GRUB 2 menu and then replace quiet splash with the option I want. Am I correct?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Yes and when you replace quiet splash you should then see all the drivers and process of booting. If it stops then you may be able to see what caused the error. Often not the last thing posted but several lines above or something posted several times with message that it is not working or takes a very long time during boot. May go by fast, but same info is in log files for later review.

Beans

After I failed multiple attempts I gave up. Last night I tried again and this time I turned UEFI into Legacy mode. Ubuntu installer worked and I was able to try out Ubuntu however when I went on the install Ubuntu, the installer did not detect my windows installation and offered me to wipe it out and install over it. Also, my partitions are labeled something like ext1. ext2, ext3 etc. Does anyone know what I should do?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast