Thread: Ubuntu 13.04 - No graphic driver being used

Beans

Ubuntu 13.04 - No graphic driver being used

Hello

I have a Lenovo Y 510p running Ubuntu 13.04. The system has both an integrated Intel Haswell graphic card and a dedicated nVidia one.

sudo lshw -c display
    *-display UNCLAIMED
    description: VGA compatible controller
    product: GK107M [GeForce GT 750M]
    vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
    version: a1
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list
    configuration: latency=0
    resources: memory:c0000000-c0ffffff memory:90000000-9fffffff memory:a0000000-a1ffffff ioport:4000(size=128) memory:a2000000-a207ffff
    *-display UNCLAIMED
    description: VGA compatible controller
    product: Haswell Integrated Graphics Controller
    vendor: Intel Corporation
    physical id: 2
    bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
    version: 06
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: msi pm vga_controller cap_list
    configuration: latency=0
    resources: memory:c2000000-c23fffff memory:b0000000-bfffffff ioport:5000(size=64)

I see none of them being used.
    I installed the intel drivers using the intel-linux-graphics-installer, still the same.
    I also tried installing the nVidia drivers but as I understand there are still issues in supporting the Optimus Drivers and it result was the unity env was not loading at all.

Without the graphic cards I have a constant 30% CPU utilization from compiz.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.
    Last edited by cubiks; September 8th, 2013 at 03:22 AM. Reason: formatting

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Lightbulb Re: Ubuntu 13.04 - No graphic driver being used

If you decide to use the nVIDIA® GK107M as primary for X, Unity, &c., you'll almost certainly need the Packages jockey-text, nvidia-current, and nvidia-settings; xserver-xorg-video-nouveau will not work with certain nVIDIA® GPU's. There may also be some BIOS/UEFI settings to make that I don't know about from the system description to date.

The jockey-text program is needed to properly configure the nVIDIA® drivers and settings applications for your GK107M.
    nVIDIA® nForce® chipsets require discrete GPU's up to Pascal and appropriate nVIDIA Kernel modules.
    Most intel® ExpressSets™ and AMD® RS-Series are fully supported in open source.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Arrow Re: Ubuntu 13.04 - No graphic driver being used

Update: I ran across a Thread describing a situation with hardware similar to yours: "Use ONLY nVidia discrete graphics on Optimus laptop N56VZ Ubuntu 13.04." The Bumblebee Project™ is supported at Launchpad™.
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bumblebee/stable
    sudo apt-get update
    nVIDIA® nForce® chipsets require discrete GPU's up to Pascal and appropriate nVIDIA Kernel modules.
    Most intel® ExpressSets™ and AMD® RS-Series are fully supported in open source.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 13.04 - No graphic driver being used

Thread moved to Multimedia & Video.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 13.04 - No graphic driver being used

The easiest way to do it would be to install 'buntu 13.10 and then install bumblebee package (which in the repos beginning with 13.10).

If using 13.04, I would install a 3.11 kernel and use xorg-edgers PPA ( https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa ) to get the intel GPU working. Next, I would add x-swat PPA to use nvidia-319 driver ( https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa)
    And finally, I would install bumblebee from the repo: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee