Thread: Ubuntu on Samsung S4?

Beans

Ubuntu on Samsung S4?

I'm in the market for a new phone & not sure if I'm going to get the next iphone or not.

I REALLY want to get the Ubuntu Mobile OS going and was thinking of picking up a Samsung S4 and rooting it to add Ubuntu.

I know that Ubuntu Mobile OS is geared more towards the Nexus, but will it/does it run (and run well) on a Samsung S4?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu on Samsung S4?

Have you read the Ubuntu Touch wiki?
    Can you make it run on my device xyz as well?

In order to understand the answer to this question you should get aquainted to open source development in general. Even though the whole idea of Ubuntu Touch is organized and driven by canonical it remains an open source project and is characterized and limited by the same constraints. The main work is done by volunteers and in case there is nobody yet working on the device that you would like to have ported then good luck. You can only wait (and hope) or start porting yourself. You can also look if you device have already someone "working" on it. List of Devices
    There are two places to look to find out if someone is working on porting Ubuntu Touch to your device

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Devices

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2239338

Remember, Ubuntu Touch is still developer preview code and the work being done by Canonical is for the purpose of providing Ubuntu Touch as a mobile platform for OEMs. Who knows how well it will run on ant device, especially a device that Ubuntu Touch has not had supplier tuning to get it running well?

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; September 8th, 2013 at 12:11 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Ubuntu on Samsung S4?

If you buy an iphone you are as far from Ubuntu Phone OS as you can possibly get.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.