Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irfanview in Wine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Question Irfanview in Wine

Hi all,

I am having some trouble trying to install Irfanview into wine. I've only just started using ubuntu 12.04, having installed it on my laptop earlier this week (as a dual-boot set-up alongside my existing Windows 7 installation). I have followed instructions online: installed wine; downloaded the Irfanview installer (iview430_setup.exe) and copied the mfc42.dll from the System32 folder to the wine equivalent folder. Then I followed the instructions to launch the installation from terminal but it came up with these errors - suggesting to me that mfc42.dll isn't there but it is:

Code:
    :~$ cd /home/[user]/Downloads
    :~/Downloads$ wine iview430_setup.exe
    fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)
    err:module:import_dll Library KERNELBASE.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\MFC42.DLL") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library API-MS-Win-Core-Debug-L1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\MFC42.DLL") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library API-MS-Win-Core-ErrorHandling-L1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\MFC42.DLL") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library API-MS-Win-Core-File-L1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\MFC42.DLL") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library API-MS-Win-Core-Handle-L1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\MFC42.DLL") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library API-MS-Win-Core-Interlocked-L1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\MFC42.DLL") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library API-MS-Win-Core-LibraryLoader-L1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\MFC42.DLL") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library API-MS-Win-Core-Localization-L1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\MFC42.DLL") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library API-MS-Win-Core-LocalRegistry-L1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\MFC42.DLL") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library API-MS-Win-Core-Memory-L1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\MFC42.DLL") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library API-MS-Win-Core-Misc-L1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\MFC42.DLL") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library API-MS-Win-Core-ProcessEnvironment-L1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\MFC42.DLL") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library API-MS-Win-Core-ProcessThreads-L1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\MFC42.DLL") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library API-MS-Win-Core-Profile-L1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\MFC42.DLL") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library API-MS-Win-Core-String-L1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\MFC42.DLL") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library API-MS-Win-Core-Synch-L1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\MFC42.DLL") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library API-MS-Win-Core-SysInfo-L1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\MFC42.DLL") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library MFC42.DLL (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\[user]\\Downloads\\iview430_setup.exe") not found
    err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\home\\[user]\\Downloads\\iview430_setup.exe" failed, status c0000135
    Apologies if I have missed anything obvious - I'm still getting to grips with the new setup.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

If anyone else is wondering I have no idea why I have such a random username, I logged in using my cloud account and I wasn't given the option to choose otherwise...

Beans

Re: Irfanview in Wine

Hi,

i has had a look at http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...rsion&iId=7834.
    They call

winetricks mfc42

to install the dll. Have you tried that? Open a terminal window and go
    to the place where the mfc24 is stored (cd command) and try the winetricks
    commmand.
    Last edited by GwL3eNC; September 7th, 2013 at 08:38 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Yes, when I tried to install irfanview in my Ubuntu 10.06 a couple of years ago I had exactly that same problem and had to solve it with wine-tricks. Copying the mfc42 file directly from the winXP did not work as I recall, though it was a long time ago.

Instead of irfanview under wine have a good look at gthumb, which I find is the nearest dedicated linux application, and the nearest thing I have found to irfanview, which I now don't miss at all.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by GwL3eNC View Post
    Hi,

i has had a look at http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...rsion&iId=7834.
    They call

winetricks mfc42

to install the dll. Have you tried that? Open a terminal window and go
    to the place where the mfc24 is stored (cd command) and try the winetricks
    commmand.
    I've just tried out that command and it doesn't seem to have worked - I get this:
    Code:
    :~$ cd /home/[user]/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32:~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32$ winetricks mfc42
    Executing w_do_call mfc42
    Executing load_mfc42
    Executing mkdir -p /home/[user]/.cache/winetricks/vcrun6
    Downloading http://download.microsoft.com/download/vc60pro/update/1/w9xnt4/en-us/vc6redistsetup_enu.exe to /home/[user]/.cache/winetricks/vcrun6
    --2013-09-08 09:32:28--  http://download.microsoft.com/download/vc60pro/update/1/w9xnt4/en-us/vc6redistsetup_enu.exe
    Resolving download.microsoft.com (download.microsoft.com)... 213.120.161.243, 217.32.26.16
    Connecting to download.microsoft.com (download.microsoft.com)|213.120.161.243|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
    2013-09-08 09:32:29 ERROR 404: Not Found.

------------------------------------------------------
    Downloading http://download.microsoft.com/download/vc60pro/update/1/w9xnt4/en-us/vc6redistsetup_enu.exe failed
    ------------------------------------------------------
    :~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32$
    Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny
    Instead of irfanview under wine have a good look at gthumb, which I find is the nearest dedicated linux application, and the nearest thing I have found to irfanview, which I now don't miss at all.
    I'll have a look at that.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

If you have that version of crossover they gave away not long ago, you could use that
    In the Community Supported list it lists Irfranview 4.33
    I have used it, it does work.
    But I prefer native apps
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans
    Distro

I had not heard of Crossover before, but I looked on the software centre and it appeared to be free so I downloaded it - I followed the instructions on there and although it wanted me to register the edition the Irfanview installer started and I now have it working. I think the factor that allowed it to work was that Crossover downloaded and installed Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 (so I presume mfc42.dll was then recognised: now just to sort out the shortcut to the program.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mdh3MHY View Post
    I had not heard of Crossover before, but I looked on the software centre and it appeared to be free.
    Most likely free for 14 days, then you would need to purchase.

http://www.codeweavers.com/

Beans

Hello,

why dont you try downloading

vc6redistsetup_enu.exe

manualy and install it before you do the winetricks command.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    Most likely free for 14 days, then you would need to purchase.

http://www.codeweavers.com/
    Ah yes, I had a message pop up asking to register and that this edition would terminate after a fortnight.

Beans
    Distro

I currently need to delete a folder in /usr/share/doc so that I can reinstall an app - the options to delete or cut it are greyed out so how can I delete it successfully (is there a terminal command that can be used)?

EDIT: Managed to do it with "sudo nautilus"
    Last edited by Mdh3MHY; September 8th, 2013 at 06:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast