Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wife using Ubuntu!

Beans

Wife using Ubuntu!

My wife has an HP G6 notebook, the fan failed on it yesterday and it has proven to be a nightmare to get it apart to repair it. We have a lot of computers in the house right now but my wife prefers to use a laptop in the living room rather than be in the computer room. This morning I created a user account for her on my Ubuntu 12.04 HP DV6 laptop and handed it to her and told her to go ahead and use it. My wife is a Windows user though...

My wife complained at first and she asked me a few questions about how to use Ubuntu. I noticed though that she has had a smile on her face ever since I handed her my laptop and she is happily sitting in the living room downloading a movie and doing all of the things that she normally does. My wife came in the computer room to show me the Windows wallpaper she selected to tease me. The thing is though is she is happy and she is figuring out how to do things pretty quick.

I will get my wifes laptop going again but I think that is is really cool that she has been smiling about using Ubuntu all morning. My wife called her dad to tell him about it because he had asked her what she would do when her laptop failed. My father-in-law has been a Ubuntu user for almost a year now and he of course teased her about it! I used to have to fix my father-in-laws computer every few months when he ran Windows but the last time he told me to go ahead and install Linux and he would give it a shot.

My father-in-law asked me the exact same questions as my wife when he started out but he has been problem free for a long time now. In my opinion this goes to show that if people give Ubuntu and Unity half a chance they will enjoy using it. I of course teased my wife and told her that I would make a Linux user out of her yet. I was not crazy about the idea of handing over my laptop to my wife but now I am pretty happy about it, just seeing her smiling and joking around really made me happy.

My wife gave Linux a try some years ago but things have changed so much since then. My wifes biggest complaint was that she could not play the games she liked. Now great game titles are available to run in Linux and I think that she will be real happy with the selection that is available. My 4 and 8 year old boys have always used Linux and they love the games they are able to run. I am going to show my wife the software center later today and I think she is going to be pleasantly surprised at the available games for purchase.

My wife is very thrifty so I think she will also be surprised at how reasonable the prices are for software. I never would have imagined things turning out so well from a having a hardware failure occur but this has turned out really well! I found a video on youtube that should help me to get my wifes laptop going again, if not I will just pay to have it fixed. On the G7 the laptop has to be completely disassembled because of the way HP designed it and there are some hidden screws that I am having some trouble with. Oh well, it's not the end of the world, just an inconvenience.

I hope that my wife discovers the benefits of running Linux and ends up enjoying it as much as I do. I run PCLinuxOS, MInt and Ubuntu on my computers because I like a long length of support. The thing I like about Ubuntu is that they came up with very original ideas developing Unity and new users seem to really enjoy the Unity interface. Unity is different enough that people do not expect it to be like Windows and that helps a great deal in teaching them how to use Linux. I have to give credit to Canonical for games being ported over to Linux too and for gaining support from graphics card manufacturers.

Right now my wife seems pretty happy!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Wife using Ubuntu!

That's great! My boys also like using Linux. We play Minecraft, 0 A.D., and I was also able to get Lord of the Rings Online working on it. I'm hoping to help more and more people install and use it. My mother-in-law sounds like she will let me install it on her computer once Windows XP goes off support on April 8, 2014.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I could say, "Husband using Ubuntu!"
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

That's cool. I know there are a lot of complaints about Unity out there but I like it and I find it make other linux "newbies" very comfortable as well. I say good job Canonical!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Unity is actually very mac-like with it's dock (the launcher) global menu on top (just like mac) and search (dash) that is sort of like the mac's as well....but without that super-high mac price (lol)
    Of course, the unity "dock" is on the left rather then the bottom, but it probably makes more sense on today's widescreens that most desktop and laptops have...My friend has a Mac and he put his dock on the left also...asked him why? he said..."it makes more sense over there"...so i guess Canonical had the right idea...

And i agree...since ubuntu is NOT windows like, it prepares the newbie that his experience is going to be somewhat different...which i think is actually a very good thing...
    Last edited by craig10x; September 7th, 2013 at 07:07 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

My male teenager kids use ubuntu, what's the point
    Last edited by bapoumba; September 7th, 2013 at 06:36 PM. Reason: typo
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |

Beans

The thing I like so much about Unity is that people do not expect it to be a free version of Windows. The one question I get asked the most is where are the menus? People do not notice the global menus right off the bat. People that are familiar with the MacOS notice the menus right away. I love the global menus myself and it is one of the things that attracted me to Unity in the first place.

Unity to me has the same kind of appeal as the MacOS without the cost. Also, in my opinion people do not seem to mind the learning curve so much with Unity. I used to think that new users were better off starting out with KDE but I was dead wrong about that. KDE resembles Windows and people tend to think that the two are the same. People are quick to learn how to use Android on their cell phones and the same can be said about learning to use Unity.

Fresh ideas and ways of doing things are great if they are well thought out and Unity is doing a much better job of doing that than Windows 8 is and I see a lot of people looking to Ubuntu and Linux Mint because they are not happy with Microsoft's new user interface. Unity is not everyones cup of tea but I really think it has a lot of potential for attracting new users. I get just as much enjoyment out of seeing someone come over from Windows and happily running Linux.

Despite the negativity in the Linux community over Unity, I think that it has had a very positive impact on how new users view Linux in general. I like seeing developers actually develop things rather than just re-package up the same old thing. It's great seeing fresh ideas coming out and good or bad at least they are trying their best. What more can you ask for? I feel the same way about Linux Mint and Cinnamon because Cinnamon puts a new twist on the traditional desktop.

Ubuntu is also starting to try the rolling release approach and that makes things much easier on new and experienced users. I feel that people that are not Linux enthusiasts but rely on their computers for their day to day work appreciate the rolling release concept. Linux is changing quickly and heading in the right direction these days in my opinion and Unity has helped to make these changes happen. Just look at how many Linux distributions are using their own ideas now.

PCLinuxOS has also contributed greatly with it's rolling release model, just look at how it has always remained near the top of the DistroWatch rankings. Texstar and his team have always had the right idea and other developers are starting to see that now. Microsoft's mistakes have also helped to advance Linux too. Windows 8 was the last straw for many and it has helped to popularize Linux. Android's success has helped a great deal in changing peoples views too.

It is great seeing more people trying Linux and these are the most exciting times I have ever seen for Linux developers and the end users.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The point is, Ubuntu has put a smile on the face of a long time Windows user. This thread goes little way to counter all the other threads insulting Ubuntu and Canonical. And that has put a smile on my face. Perhaps I should Gimp my avatar.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by d-cosner View Post

Ubuntu is also starting to try the rolling release approach and that makes things much easier on new and experienced users.
    Huh?? Where did you hear that?

I like Unity except for the global menu, it doesn't make sense unless you have a really tiny screen which can have only one window showing at a time. Used to remove it but in 13.04 Nautilus' file menu disappears if remove the global menu. Don't know if this is a feature or a bug. I find Unity very usable especially the dash, but honestly I would prefer it looks a little less like a Mac. Gnome shell actually shows more originality in design (but a little less fluid to me)
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; September 7th, 2013 at 11:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

I love the global menu and i have a 17 inch screen on my laptop...i also like the mac feel myself...
    The Rolling Release will be a symlink so you can roll into each new development version without upgrading or changing the source lists (which can be messy if you are not careful...i speak from personal experience...lol)...

So yes there will be/is Rolling... but Rolling is actually the development cycle...it won't be rolling from stable to stable...it will roll from development to development...
    Updates in development have become reliable enough at this point that the developers now consider it the rolling release of ubuntu...i heard the conference discussion and that is what they said...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast