Thread: Installed gnome classic - lost dual boot to Windows

Beans

Installed gnome classic - lost dual boot to Windows

Installed gnome (no effects); lost dual boot to Windows; GParted does not show any Windows partition..?????? Have I lost my Windows 7 - was critical to read medical reports.

Beans

Re: 12.04 LTS / Precise Classic (No effects) Tweaks and tricks

Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post
    Installed gnome (no effects); lost dual boot to Windows; GParted does not show any Windows partition..?????? Have I lost my Windows 7 - was critical to read medical reports.
    Stop using the newly installed OS immediately! Use only the live media you used to to install Ubuntu and post a new thread here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=333

Please explain exactly how you installed, what media was used, etc.

Someone may be able to help you recover some of your data using TestDisk and/or PhotoRec.

Beans

Some time ago, I followed the yellow brick road from: 12.04 LTS / Precise Classic (No effects) Tweaks and tricks to change to the gnome desktop; and sometime after that I noted that the Windows option was missing when I rebooted. Both GParted & testdisk show no partitions other than those required for Ubuntu. Looks like I've lost Windows. I wish that I had stuck with 10.04. For me, Ubuntu made a mistake not just improving upon 10.04 LTS - newer, better, and fancier ain't always better; a la Windows moving on from Windows XP Pro. Can anyone suggest some Ubuntu software that can read DICOM, as on a catheterization disk?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post
    Some time ago, I followed the yellow brick road from: 12.04 LTS / Precise Classic (No effects) Tweaks and tricks to change to the gnome desktop; and sometime after that I noted that the Windows option was missing when I rebooted. Both GParted & testdisk show no partitions other than those required for Ubuntu. Looks like I've lost Windows. I wish that I had stuck with 10.04. For me, Ubuntu made a mistake not just improving upon 10.04 LTS - newer, better, and fancier ain't always better; a la Windows moving on from Windows XP Pro. Can anyone suggest some Ubuntu software that can read DICOM, as on a catheterization disk?
    Nothing shown in this thread has to do with re-installation and could not in any way result in data loss or erasing any existing partitions. How did you get to 12.04 from 10.04? We need to know what you mean by "the yellow brick road".

I have no idea what "DICOM, as on a catheterization disk" even refers to

I can tell you that the longer you use a newly installed OS after overwriting any existing partitions/data the less likely you are to be able to recover any lost data. That's why I suggested what I did in my previous post.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The only thing I could find on DICOM is here

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Installed gnome classic - lost dual boot to Windows

@Barney, I've moved your posts, plus the specific replies, to their own thread. The thread you posted to is for support for installing and configuring gnome classic no effects. Your loss of a dual-boot is a separate problem and the request for suggestions for software is not relevant, therefore you are better off in your own thread.

Good luck with getting solutions to the problems you describe.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

For Boot issue we need more information.

Post the link to the BootInfo report that this creates. Is part of Boot-Repair:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info
    Boot Repair -Also handles LVM, GPT, separate /boot and UEFI dual boot.:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    You can repair many boot issues with this or 'Create BootInfo' report (Other Options) & post the link it creates, so we can see your exact configuration and diagnose advanced problems.
    LighterWeight (Lubuntu based) Boot-RepairCD
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/files/
    Full Ubuntu 13.04 liveDVD or USB Flash drive Installer with Boot-Repair included (for newer computers)
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LinuxSecureRemix
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

For viewing medical data such as catheterization and ct-scan disks, I found Aeskulap Viewer in the Ubuntu Software Center on both 10.04 and 12.04 - works fine.