Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrad to 13.10 are no permited?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Upgrad to 13.10 are no permited?

Hi,
    I'm trayng to upgrade to 13.10 and when I run " update-manager -d -c" i received this errors:

miguel@miguel-M14xR1:~$ update-manager -d -c
    A verificar por uma nova versão do Ubuntu.
    autenticar 'saucy.tar.gz' contra 'saucy.tar.gz.gpg'
    a extrair 'saucy.tar.gz'
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/tmp/ubuntu-release-upgrader-yfa2q8/saucy", line 10, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
    File "/tmp/ubuntu-release-upgrader-yfa2q8/DistUpgrade/DistUpgradeMain.py", line 240, in main
    save_system_state(logdir)
    File "/tmp/ubuntu-release-upgrader-yfa2q8/DistUpgrade/DistUpgradeMain.py", line 133, in save_system_state
    scrub_sources=True)
    File "/tmp/ubuntu-release-upgrader-yfa2q8/DistUpgrade/apt_clone.py", line 149, in save_state
    self._write_state_sources_list(tar, scrub_sources)
    File "/tmp/ubuntu-release-upgrader-yfa2q8/DistUpgrade/apt_clone.py", line 230, in _write_state_sources_list
    "./etc/apt/sources.list")
    File "/tmp/ubuntu-release-upgrader-yfa2q8/DistUpgrade/apt_clone.py", line 252, in _add_file_to_tar_with_password_check
    source_copy.write(line)
    UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode characters in position 97-98: ordinal not in range(128)
    miguel@miguel-M14xR1:~$ ubuntu-bug update
    miguel@miguel-M14xR1:~$ ubuntu-bug update-manager

(process:24657): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion `sys_page_size == 0' failed

Can someone help with this?
    Best regards
    Miguel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Upgrad to 13.10 are no permited?

Why not use the actual iso of 13.10 daily build to upgrade your 13.04 install? I did that a few days ago and it went extremely smoothly...Only lost my Google Chrome and MsCore Fonts (probably because they have license agreements) but were quick and easy to re-install (and Chrome remembered all my settings)...all my data and programs transferred over like i did a fresh install and put it all back in myself...

I think using the update manager for upgrades is not usually a great choice...too quirky...The iso installer offers you the option of upgrading....not only was it very smooth for me it was also extremely fast too since it upgrades directly from the iso and does need to go to the internet for the files...only took about 5 minutes more then a clean install...It even LOOKED like a regular clean install except some different things were going on during the process (especially at the end when it put back my data and installed programs)...

Always back up your important data stuff of course (i have all my important photos, mp3s, videos and documents on a flash drive) just in case...
    Last edited by craig10x; September 7th, 2013 at 03:12 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The upgrade-manager does work as it should, most of the time when an upgrade fails, it is because the person doing the upgrade fails to pay attention to any error messages that pop up during the process. The reason for the op's failure, may be that it is still to early in the process to use the update-manager.

craig10x's solutions is the best one at this point in time.

Beans
    Distro

Yes, cariboo907 i had never done an upgrade before and my "instinct" told me that doing it directly from the iso would likely be the best way to go and be the "safest" to try....absolutely no error messages came up and in fact, you could easily mistake it for a clean install....you get the little slideshow and everything...and i was really amazed how fast it went...only took about 25 minutes from start to finish...and all my data and installed programs transferred perfectly (except for the 2 items i already noted)...even most of the system settings changes i made were there...only a couple had to be reset...it certainly saved my a lot of extra work...
    Last edited by craig10x; September 7th, 2013 at 05:21 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

HI,
    Thanks for the anwsers. I normally update at beta stage. This is the first time i encounter a problem like this. I fill a bug about this. Most pp use update manager, and I think this something that the Devs. have to look.
    I will try the CD way!!
    Best regards
    Miguel

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

update-manager -d -c
    The reason for the op's failure, may be that it is still to early in the process to use the update-manager.
    Just as a FYI - it worked 2 times for me when I tested it earlier in the week, twice yesterday when testing something else. So it does work with vanilla Xubuntu installs/upgrades

Beans
    Distro

@miguel: After you do it, i would be curious to hear how it worked out for you...it was the first time i ever did an upgrade and using the iso was a very smooth experience for me so it would be interesting to hear how it went for you...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    Just as a FYI - it worked 2 times for me when I tested it earlier in the week, twice yesterday when testing something else. So it does work with vanilla Xubuntu installs/upgrades
    +1!

I can't speak for Ubuntu but during Lubuntu and Ubuntu GNOME Beta 1 testing I completed the standard upgrade tests and they worked just fine.

I almost wonder if changing DL servers would make a difference?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Here's the bug the OP had
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1212025

Which has since been fixed, or at least addressed.
    I would suggest the OP clean the cache(apt-get clean) and reload the package list(apt-get update), then try again.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi
    @deadflowr thks for your time, but even after I've done what you sugest i received the same errors.

@craig10x I will try your suggestion. When i finish i let you now.

Best Regards
    Miguel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast