Thread: did shotwell lock my sim card - can't take pictures anymore?

Beans
    Hidden!

did shotwell lock my sim card - can't take pictures anymore?

dear forum,
    i used shotwell to load a view pictures from my sim card (through my sim card reader on my thinkpad x201i).
    today i tried to take more pictures but found that it is protected, the camera can't do anything about it, it seems.
    i tried formatting it with gparted, but that also failed, with a 'can't format read only filesystem' error message.
    thanks for any hints/comments!!!

Beans

Re: did shotwell lock my sim card - can't take pictures anymore?

okay, 2 things are wrong and most likely due to misinformation:
    1. what you're regarding as a SIM card is actually a Secure Digital (SD) card, SIM cards only have enough room for phone account info, and a few numbers, that's it, no room for photos.
    2. you can't lock an SD card with software, that's a mechanism controlled ONLY by a visible switch on the card itself, Shotwell can't lock an SD card

what you're likely seeing is a corrupt/bad SD card and/or filesystem (or both)

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: did shotwell lock my sim card - can't take pictures anymore?

alright, you are right, sorry for getting the name wrong, thanks for the clarification. also - you are right about that switch. it was by coincidence that it moved/locked the card the first time i plugged it into my laptop after installing 13.10. thanks!!
    this is solved and should not be even in this thread..