I couldn't honestly swear that I definitely did have it unmounted when I made the changes (the changes were that sdd3 was converted from ntfs to ext4 and all logical partitions deleted and then the sdd5 created and the rest left unallocated) however I've made loads of changes to partitions over the last week as I have gradually migrated most of my data over to ext4 and moved what is left on ntfs to newly created partitions.
Some of the changes were made in Windows using the inbuilt disk management tool in Windows 7 and other with GParted so I suppose that didn't help but I just used the tool that was relevant in the OS that I was using at that time. Thankfully the that whole process of migration is almost complete assuming I get over this prob without big issues.
The output as requested is:
So looks like it sees the extended and logical partitions ok. Hopefully that's a good start.
Model: ATA ST2000DL003-9VT1 (scsi)Disk /dev/sdd: 3907020911s
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 2048s 81922047s 81920000s primary ntfs
2 81922048s 696322047s 614400000s primary ntfs
3 696322048s 1720322047s 1024000000s primary ext4
4 1720324095s 3358724095s 1638400001s extended lba
5 1720324096s 3358724095s 1638400000s logical ext4