Thread: Projector compatible with Ubuntu

Beans

Question Projector compatible with Ubuntu

Hi all,

I'm looking for projector compatible with Ubuntu.
    One of model's description says that it is compatible with Windows XP Professional SP2 (32-bit).
    Honestly, I'm stuck, I didn't know that projector's work depends on operation system.

So could someone please advise me model of projector compatible with Ubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Projector compatible with Ubuntu

I think this is purely a marketing gimmick. Which OS runs shouldn't matter .... unless there are firmware updates that can only be applied using WinXP.

The projector has a native resolution and update rate. Ubuntu can almost certainly output that, especially if it is anything standard. I've connected my Ubuntu-based XBMC machine to a low end projector and only had issues with HDMI signals being lost about every 20 minutes. The same issue happened from a DVD player, WD TV Live HD and from a Roku, so that issue wasn't Ubuntu specific. The projector also had VGA inputs, which worked from the computer.
    My projector has internal SD storage, which is seen just fine by Ubuntu through a normal USB connector.

So you need to read the manuals and find how firmware updates are performed. I suspect most projectors will use a USB flash drive for this - so the OS doesn't matter there ..... most of the time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've used several Epson projectors dating back to 2004 with Thinkpad laptops and never had a problem with resolution or switching displays using various Ubuntu distributions. It really depends more on the laptop or computer that you are using and how well the graphics card switches between display modes.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to Hardware.

I would say it's irrelevant. Hardly any hardware has a 'works with Linux' logo, description or mark anywhere, despite the fact that most does. I actually email the manufacturer and ask why their product doesn't tell people it's Linux compatible when I plug the hardware in and it works immediately.

I have a bluetooth dongle that is 'Windows'. Works faultlessly without drivers in Ubuntu. Just plug in and it's working. Doesn't work in Windows at all. I have searched and found no solution whatever.

I would disregard this marketing flotsam aimed at Joe and Josephine average Win/Mac user. Bit like saying a Western Digital hard drive is 'Windows and Mac compatible.' They just don't bother with '... oh, and Linux.'

Let's hope that changes. Help it along by keeping on emailing manufacturers when your new hardware works to add 'Linux Compatible' so there are less confused Linux newbies and would-be Linux users put off by the false and misleading perception that there is a lack of compatible hardware.

PS: If this projector is actually in a store somewhere near you, why not take your laptop along and check? They'd let you do it with a Win or Mac so why not? I took my computer in to uni for a presentation one day and just plugged into the system there and up she popped on the overhead. No prob. Didn't even bother to check whether it was 'supposed' to.

Sorry about the rant. This is one of my pet irks and has been since getting into Linux. It's crazy and bad marketing when you look at it because it shouldn't matter to a hardware manufacturer what OS you're using. By not mentioning it works fine with Linux, they are actually losing sales.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; September 9th, 2013 at 02:43 AM.

Beans

Thanks to all for your replies.