Thread: Ableton Live 9 won't launch - says it runs platinum?

Beans

Ableton Live 9 won't launch - says it runs platinum?

I DJ around campus using ableton and my apc40, I used to run this on a mac and my house was robbed. Instead of getting a new mac I got myself an asus g series and put ubuntu on it because I missed using ubuntu. Before I did, though, I did some research and saw the ableton live 9, according to the appDB, runs with a platinum rating, no bugs, and works with the apc40 perfectly. So I should be set.

So I download live 9 again, install it and when I go to launch it it just gives me a "serious error and must quit, sorry" message.

Does anyone have a fix? School is starting again and I'd like to get back into it.

I clicked on 'show more details' and pasted the dump here

Thanks!
    Last edited by mathieu-mgkgroup; September 6th, 2013 at 03:04 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Ableton Live 9 won't launch - says it runs platinum?

My advice? Just don't bother with Ubuntu for high-end audio software that is intended for Win or Mac. Ableton, Pro-Tools, Reason, Cubase, Sibelius ... the list goes on. I have a dual-boot for this very reason. The Wine path is generally more trouble than its worth and if you're using your computer to run Win/Mac programs in Wine, why? Just use Win or Mac. You don't need a Mac, even to run Pro-tools nowadays.

There is ample proof of wasted hours with Wine and A/V software on the interwebs.

My 2cents, but having said it, might be something simple (though not sounding good) so good luck anyhow.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; September 6th, 2013 at 03:47 AM.

Beans

Yeah I have a windows 7 disc laying around but unfortunately this laptop doesn't have a CD drive.. and it seems every time my friend with a USB one comes around I either forget or he does. I wanted to give it a try on ubuntu before I dual-booted, and actually if I could find just one little progra I could DJ through JACK, which would be pretty awesome to accomplish!

Maybe it's time I brush up my programming skills and see if I can figure it out. Wouldn't be *that* difficult.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mathieu-mgkgroup View Post
    Maybe it's time I brush up my programming skills and see if I can figure it out. Wouldn't be *that* difficult.
    And would also prick up the ears of many musical members of the Linux community. Have you tried posting in Multimedia & Video or Ubuntu Studio (there is a specific sub-forum for it) to see what other *buntu DJs are using, if anything? You may find some helpers in your quest to DJ successfully using UStudio. I'm certainly interested to hear of any progress you may have regarding this.

Mixxx and Virtual DJ come to mind. Never looked at them and, just guessing, probably not close to Ableton (in the same way Lilypond and other notation software, while good, is not close to Sibelius). ;(
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; September 6th, 2013 at 03:54 AM.

Beans

I have indeed looked into Mixxx, both that and Virtual DJ are limited on effects and some other features I've come to know and love, features I could accomplish nicely with JACK, the only missing piece is the "clip launcher" ableton has - essentially a playlist I can make on the fly and launch from a midi controller.

But I will certainly ask! Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Just wondering if Audacity might fit into this somewhere. Have you fiddled with that? Might not be helpful but mighty powerful (don't be fooled by the lightweight looks) and you should have that in the Linux audio toolkit regardless. You can load a whole lot of clips in and play them alone or all at once (cacophony effect!). There are also limited effects.

You may be able to tweak and expand, of course, as it is open-source.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

There's some info. It's in the repos so safest to install from there rather than manually.

Beans

I'm quite familiar with audacity, though I have gotten some ideas using that, calf, ardour and a few other things. My main issue is triggering all of it form a midi controller (my apc40).. maybe it's time I look into programming midi devices!

Also, for you or anyone else looking at this thread, I started a discussion thread here though nobody has picked up on it yet.

Thanks again for all of your advice!