Thread: Laptop recommendation

Beans

Laptop recommendation

My 6 yr old Acer 5610 has failed. It has been running Ubuntu since 6.1. Any recommendations on a suitable touchscreen replacement. I assume Ubuntu will be touchscreen in 2014. Is there a brand that is more receptive to Ubuntu than some other? Should I stick with Intell graphics given the sometimes difficulties with Nivida, et.al.? Don't need a big hard drive ( we have U cloud) nor the fastest or newest processor. I don't do gaming. I'll probably end up dual-booting U and Win7, my current set-up.

Thanks for your help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Laptop recommendation

ThinkPads, particularly the T series. Configure a ThinkPad T430 with Intel graphics and Intel wireless and you should have absolutely no problems with Linux, but it has no touch screen. If you wait a little, you can get the new T440 (replaces the T430) with a higher resolution touch screen after you check for the Linux support. All of the ThinkPads give you the option between Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Personally, I don't see any reason to care about a touch screen on a laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

My preference is hp. Mine has been pretty great so far. Just remember to check if the graphics card is fully supported. This thing has the Optimus configuration and it's a small pain having to enable discreet graphics manually, but I really don't use Linux much for games that need it. The Intel graphics do just fine for most everything.
    Thinkpad T430, Intel i5-3320M (Ivy), 8GB RAM, Intel HD 4000, 500GB HDD: Xubuntu 20.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Have you considered a Linux certified PC yet?

You can choose a ZaReason or System76 or Emperor Linux certified PC. Emperor Linux sells Lenovo IBM ThinkPad notebook PCs in particular.

What do you need to do with a new PC?

What's your budget?

Beans

Thanks for the replies guys. I need one for writing, browsing and email. No real heavy lifting. No games. Budget at around $500. Am I correct in the Ubuntu will be touch enabled next year? Probably would also be used as primary computer connected to a larger monitor when my PC begins to fail-it's also aging.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Still higher than $500, but the older generation ThinkPad T420 can still be bought some places for much less than the current generation: http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPa...=thinkpad+t420